Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats better? Ecotec or Alloytec V6????

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Alloytec is more responsive, more powerful (and more powerful low down) and has longer service cycles.

Have you taken the rocker covers of a high Km alloytec??? I'd service them regularly too if it was mine. sludge build up isn't a good thing

I'd also be weary of worn timing chains, seems to be a bit of a issue as well. Not cheap to replace but if they do need doing you may as well throw in a set of cams from MACE whilst your at it.

Cheers

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
raw KW and economywise the alloytec is better.

reliability & ease to work on then the ecotec is better.

Both have their good and bads, I prefer the ecotec because it's just so simple and cheap to repair/maintain, the ecotec also has a much wider array of aftermarket parts available if thats the sort of thing your in to

I also much prefer the ecotec due to the cable driven throttle instead of fly by wire....I can't stand electronic throttles, just doesn't feel right.

I have worked on all GM engines from the old holden straight 6's all the way up to the LS3, the Ecotec is much more straight forward than the alloytec and don't even get me started on the SIDI......but they are all fantastic engines in their own ways

(The ecotec is also a bigger block, no replacement for displacement hehe)

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
I've said it once and I'll say it again, an alloytec with an exhaust sounds like someone farting with their mouth into an empty baked bean can.
Try what you want, extractors, 2 1/2 inch, 3 inch, hi flo cats etc etc etc, the alloytec is still up there with the worst sounding 6 I will ever come across....

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I've said it once and I'll say it again, an alloytec with an exhaust sounds like someone farting with their mouth into an empty baked bean can.
Try what you want, extractors, 2 1/2 inch, 3 inch, hi flo cats etc etc etc, the alloytec is still up there with the worst sounding 6 I will ever come across....

Hate to tell you mate, but an Ecotec isn't any better....As much as i think the Ecotec is a pretty good thing, exhaust note isn't one of it's strong points.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Have you taken the rocker covers of a high Km alloytec??? I'd service them regularly too if it was mine. sludge build up isn't a good thing

I'd also be weary of worn timing chains, seems to be a bit of a issue as well. Not cheap to replace but if they do need doing you may as well throw in a set of cams from MACE whilst your at it.

Cheers

As advised by Holden, never said I did it lol.

Mine gets every 10k for what it's worth. This timing chain issue seems common, mine is Jan 07 build, so it has the crap chain in it, which they didn't swap over till Sep 07 if memory serves. So I am not hopeful.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
Hate to tell you mate, but an Ecotec isn't any better....As much as i think the Ecotec is a pretty good thing, exhaust note isn't one of it's strong points.
I'm not one of those P platers with my head up my behind, I know that my 6 doesn't sound remotely good compared to any 8 on the market.
That being said, myself and many more of my mates whom both own ecotecs, alloytecs, ford straight sixes, 5 litres and LS1's all agree that alloytec's omitt a horrible sound out of their exhausts and an ecotec in terms of a 6 sound much better when the exhaust is modified correctly...

mattathm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Wow thanks for all the replies....
Ill keep monitoring this thread tho and see but so far ECOTECH seems to be a far more popular engine.

When I was younger I was a bit of a lad, some lad is still left in me so I will be doing a few mods to the engine just to make it go a bit better than factory.
The mods will all be bolt on unless someone comes up with an internal mod that just HAS to be done.

I did have a VY Calais LS1 and I remapped it with CAI and full exhaust, it totally transformed the engine!!

Im assuming the same mods are available for the Ecotech????

Cheers in advance...
Matty

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Ecotec ftw!

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
As advised by Holden, never said I did it lol.

Mine gets every 10k for what it's worth. This timing chain issue seems common, mine is Jan 07 build, so it has the crap chain in it, which they didn't swap over till Sep 07 if memory serves. So I am not hopeful.

What are the recommend service intervals for the alloytec?