Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats better? Ecotec or Alloytec V6????

Tim747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais and VS s pac 96
Hi guys, I new to the whole Forum thing and I am 19 on my Green Ps.

I too am deciding on Ecotec ( VS, VX) or Alloytec (VZ SV6)
After reading this and a few other threads, my conclusion is I prefer the look of a VZ but couldn't fork out thousands for the Timing chain repair.

And a VS is getting really old or too hard to find a good one, and I simply not too interested in a VX but it is still better than driving my 87 Laser :p

Also where can i post my dilema between choosing either of those 3 models and laying out their goods and bad points to consider? What should I call it?

-I have been researching on the website for awhile too

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if your young and dont have lots of money for major repairs stick with anything ecotech or buick plenty of spare engines and boxes to be had for a box of beer and cheaper and easier to mod. i find the alloytecs too hit or miss .sludge problems killing bottomends, porous badly cast alloy heads leaking water into the engine, ecu's that just loose an injector driver or coil driver out of no where or the fuel gauge and start inhibit part of the ecu just up and dies and need unlinked and linked by holden when the ecu is replaced, timing chains are hit or miss and a lot of people have been getting the software update from holden as a tempory fix for the timing chain error code and selling them knowing the light is soon going to come back on and cause a sudden loss of wallet thickness.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hi guys, I new to the whole Forum thing and I am 19 on my Green Ps.

I too am deciding on Ecotec ( VS, VX) or Alloytec (VZ SV6)
After reading this and a few other threads, my conclusion is I prefer the look of a VZ but couldn't fork out thousands for the Timing chain repair.

And a VS is getting really old or too hard to find a good one, and I simply not too interested in a VX but it is still better than driving my 87 Laser :p

Also where can i post my dilema between choosing either of those 3 models and laying out their goods and bad points to consider? What should I call it?

-I have been researching on the website for awhile too

Why no VY?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
I would go for an alloytec that has been looked after. Regular servicing, low km's , old guy owned it. I have had my vz now for two years. I tow a trailer with it everyday, have put around 40 thousand km's on it and have never had a thing go wrong with it.

IT has been way less drama than the ecotec I had.

Just use a quality oil when servicing. They're a very easy motor to work on to.

I know some people have had problems with them but any motor can give you problems at the end of the day.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
Sure, gearbox removal to replace the thermostat, so easy to work on at home.

I done mine in a few hours? and replaced every hose?

You don't need to remove the gearbox. remove inlet manifold and theres enough room.:smoking:

I don't understand what all the hype is about the thermostat.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Well from my own experience , the Ecotec is a lot easier to work on compared to the Alloytec ,
but , in my old VX I had the follwing mods -
Cold air intake
high ratio rockers
69mm throttle body and tuned PCM
extractors with full 2.5 inch exhaust .

and my stock VZ SV6 , is still more powerful even before I did some mods to it.

Last edited:

Tim747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais and VS s pac 96
Why no VY?
I don't know the difference with them. But they have the Ecotec motor right? And if they look the same, and if smeone can tell me the differnce between them...then I'd consider a VY for under 5k driveaway. And I shouldn't say it but Im looking at Cleaner and lower kilometeres Ford Xr6's and run it on gas one day. Im sorry, I like all cars...just looking for best all rounder with costing in mind for the long run.

EDIT: Excuse me but I didn't thank everyone for posting their input, thank you.