Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's Better VX Super6 or ls1

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
Hey guys looking at buying a new car, looking at a VX or a VY, I had my mind set on getting an LS1, but have multiple conflicting views, saying i should consider a L67 super6 instead, now the points I'm looking for are

- Power comparisons (of course!)
- Fuel Economy
- Engine Longevity and Common Problems
- Any other Pros and Cons between the 2 Engines

My Budget is $10k, and i will never buy an alloytech (hence VX/VY) :hiding:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
A V8 without a doubt

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
LS1

Power: Stock VX 225kw, VY has more ~ 240kw

Fuel economy: My LS1 is better on fuel on both highway and around town driving then my brothers Ecotec and even our previous 4 cylinder pulsar. Roughly 13/L per 100km combined, on LPG

Reliability: It's Coming up to 300,000km and no engine issues. I need to replace the gaskets soon but that's easy. Radiator and power steering hoses failed. That's it.

Other Pros: Sounds way better then a V6. They seem to like Injected LPG and don't lose power, Easy to tune and get heaps of power out of it, plenty of aftermarket parts for it.

Cons: It costs an extra $200 a year up here to register then a V6... And I guess doesn't have a supercharger whine from factory.

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
Cheers mate, you say you're running lpg? What are your fuel consumption figures on Unleaded (and what octane rating), I currently have a '96 S Pack stock Ecotec and get about 400-450km a tank in urban areas

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Those figures are not bad.
I only use petrol on start up and hardly ever in regular driving, well not enough to get accurate figures anyway so can't tell you.

It all changes but overall it's better then before the tune, around 2L per 100km better.

If interested in the LPG figures, I only have a 40L LPG tank but it ranges from getting around 260km at worst, towing a massive heavy trailer up hills, to average of 320km up to 360km+ on highway.

Economy figures will change depending on where you are and how you drive and engine condition, mine are pretty good, some other LS1s are worse, but they are better then a 5L V8.
On average it will use a bit more then a NA Ecotec anyway, a supercharged Ecotec could be very similar in economy figures.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
A supercharged l67 produces better hwy economy than the ecotec at 8l/100 compared to 9l/100 on the Eco but then city is 12l for the Eco and 13l for the l67

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
In saying that my eco gets 7L/ 100 hwy and 9-10L around town but mine is fantastic condition and I know a lot of people get something more like 15L / 100 out of their Eco lol

Btw I would probably go the 8.... And I love my L67 and Eco .... But for u yes the 8

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I'm getting close to 700k's to a tank from my VX (ecotec, 190xxx on the clock). it's a great daily hack and I fill it up every second week. it replaced a VR Statesman and that used to get me 650k's or there abouts and that wasn't too bad either for a buick pulling a 1800kg car. I sold it at 175xxx on the clock.

I've had my LS1 Statesman (WK, 160xxx) down to 9l/100k's on the open road at 110 with cruise on, but around town or when you put your foot down it's a different story and it goes up to about 13L. only engine mods on the statesman are a exhaust and a beefed up transmission.

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
Cheers guys, yeah my old girl's seen better days, got her 2 years ago as my first car, love at first sight, she's at 220k now and slowly all the small things are going, suspension (handles like a boat and the rear left strut sometimes clicks) the timing chain seems to be on its way out and the rear main seal/flex plate is definitely ready to go (either that or the actually tranny itself) so she gets me near on 15L/100km (urban) it uses 3/8 of a tank for a 220km highway drive, need something less thirsty and more reliable, and preferably more powerful :)

Also a 5 year loan so i want the car to make it to at least 3 aha :)