Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's Defectable

JSTPOZN

S.A. The Defect State
Reaction score
Members Ride
Air Bagged VR Calais, VLCT RB20, VLCT EFI V8 Turbo
Hey..

Obviously i know alot is defectable

Just wondering what are some things that people have been picked in when going thru the pits ( vehicle inspection, Regency)

This way i can check over mine and replace to hopefully make the inspector happy :thumbsup:

Anything little will help

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
My defects:

Sports Steering Wheel And Boss Kit x 2
Standard Steering Wheel had slack in outer cover
Faded Tail Light
Reflectors did not reflect enough (wtf)
Too Low (330mm front, 305mm rear is legal)
Window Tint too dark (70% front, 35% rear is legal with no more than 10% reflectiveness)
'Strobe Light' on dash (shift light on tacho)
Blue headlights

I think there were some more but I dont remember all of them.

They put your car on the hoist and inspect it pretty thoroughly, engine bay, tyres, wheels, rear lights, suspension etc. They put it on the rollers and test your brakes. They test your window tint and all your lights.

Its like a 45 minute appointment so they are pretty thorough. They do interior as well.

JSTPOZN

S.A. The Defect State
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sports Steering Wheel And Boss Kit x 2
Standard Steering Wheel had slack in outer cover
Faded Tail Light
Reflectors did not reflect enough (wtf)

You talkin about the reflectors on the actual lights...

hmm so i should put a stocko vn steerin wheel on then aye

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
steam ur engine the day before and check oil leaks cv boots suspension. check all ur lights as vn said check all ur dash lights/switches work, washer jets, handbreak, nothing mounted onto of ur dash. anything little just go rite over ur car urself and ask yourself if i wanted to defect the car wot would i do it for if i was a prick.

had my brother in law take his 180 through we did struts, secured the pod, put stokies on, etc

he got told bout his boost guage but with turbos they let them slide if its mounted low and properly, and sujested he replace the cv boots coz they were just starting to crack and become brittle.

hope this helps

JSTPOZN

S.A. The Defect State
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah that helps..

I went over the car a few times checking everything..

but theres always going to be something i wouldnt see or probably even know about to look for.. So i was hoping someone has been ****ed over and can shed some light

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Do they check stuff like the condition of any suspension bushes and play in wheel bearings? That was always something I was wary of when it came to having my car MOTed in the UK. I had a car fail for excessive play in a wheel bearing once. I hadn't picked up on it as it wasn't noisy, but you can check by jacking the car up and grabbing hold of the top and bottom of a wheel then trying to move it inwards and outwards. Play in balljoints is another thing if they check it.

JSTPOZN

S.A. The Defect State
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yaeh man they check everything from grommits in the car to seat belts you name it.. its just the things that i totally dont know to look at.. sounds stupid but there will always be 1 thing that ****s you up

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Yeah, its a pain, but if you check all the bits you know and make sure the major things are right then they should only give you a list of minor issues to sort. Didn't Killa_calais get a good going over from Regency recently?

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
they check barings yes but interior they bassically have a suss around pull at **** and make sure seat belts actualy stop and retract.they are very thourou when they look but saying that my car was in for too low and too loud the car was neither measured for either abd it had a power steerring leak so bad i was going throu 2 bottles off fluid a month lol go figure they never picked that