Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats involved in a major annual service?

dobes

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
Hey guys, im up to that point where i need to service my car, im about 1000km's over so i think its about time i do something about it
Im not too fussed on the price, if i have to go to the mechanics i will but i rather learn for future use so with that, whats needed to be done to the car and which can i do
Im sure i can find a guide on something around the internets, cant be rocket science right?

Kthanks :)

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
recomend getting yourself a manual like gregorys so you can lear with pictures

a basic service is check everything and change oil

different cars have different service requirements and km intervals for different service parts like plugs gearbox filter and oil etc etc

JakeysVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT Clubsport R8
Hey Dobes in a major annual service the absolute minimum to do is oil filter, oil, and perhaps the transmission oil(check the colour of the oil if its brown it needs to be changed) and possibly spark plugs but in a full major service
you can do :
oil filter, oil, transmission oil, transmission filter, spark plugs and leads, new water and coolant, air filter and check for any general leaks

i do the whole lot every 2 years, but oil and oil filter, and air filter and a coolant level check should be fine :)

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Change the hydraulic brake (and clutch) fluid. Recommended to be changed every 2 years regardless of kilometers. Check battery electrolyte and fluid (distilled water), top up if needed. Engine coolant should be changed every 2.5 years regardless of kilometers. Check transmission/diff/man gearbox oil levels, top up as needed. Replace fuel filter and retainer. Check suspension and brake components for wear, condition and leaks. Check fuel and brake lines and hoses for condition, leaks, out of position. Ramps and stands handy here. There's more but you need testers for it.