Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's left of Holden

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
GM can get f***** as far as I am concerned...

The company that's shafted Holden and thousands of employees + awful track record for customer services gets nothing from me. Hope they fail miserably..

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That GMSV logo is terrible!

2020-gmsv-icon.png
To the faithful Holden die-hards, GM SV will probably end up meaning GM Sucks Violently :oops:

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
Also been a Holden person from when I was 15, learnt to drive in a 1966 HD Holden [Special], 179, 3 on the tree,
My first car a 1972 202 HQ, also 3 on the tree, later converted to a Aussie 4 speed [M20], and from a Banjo Diff to the Salisbury Diff,
then my 1977 LX 4.2 Manual SL Torana Sedan in Mandarin Red, the rest is history, that no one can repeat.

I always ponder back those days, how it would of been so different, only if we knew then, what we know now,
and how the roads [life] may of been different on how we have lived now.

Not sure where to go from here with my 2 cars, L67 & L77,
I would like to hang onto them as long as possible, but like us all,
don't want to get stuck with vehicles that are end of life & un-usable/un-drivable, and spare parts not available.

My first car was a second hand LC GTR with 161 engine I purchased at Sydney Motor Auctions in Lidcome when I was 17. I got it for a bid of about $1120.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not sure where to go from here with my 2 cars, L67 & L77,
don't want to get stuck with vehicles that are end of life & un-usable/un-drivable, and spare parts not available.

As the owner of 5 cars that are no longer made and the youngest of those being built in 1977, I can say that parts to keep these cars roadworthy are still available to this day...

The parts that will probably be hard to obtain is new panels....Mechancial stuff will still be available in some shape or form, which is where the roadworthy stuff is required.

The closure of Holden and the associated parts availability is something that people have made up for what ever reason and others have run with it....Just look, there are cars built at the beginning of last century that are still travelling the roads of this country.... They haven't been built for decades and parts are still available for them....

The only concern is, you can't buy a new Holden anymore.....So the choice what to buy is what needs to be looked at

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... Not sure where to go from here with my 2 cars, L67 & L77,
To counter @vc commodore view just a little, even though I agree with some of what he says, there are probably more old Mustang vehicles on US roads than all our commodores as the USA has a huge population and a huge car culture. As such economies of scale allow others to come to the game and supply parts for old cars.

We are in a different ball game down under, no diamond or gridded square fields to run around or across. We have an elliptical field with a similar shaped ball that bounces oddly. We are different.

As to the VF’s, it’ll increasingly become harder to get panels, switches, interiors trim items and the like, unless one is willing to spend lots of cash. It’s sadly the price to pay for a rather small market which will get smaller and smaller with the passage of time. If they were sold in the millions, the economies of scale would help after market companies jump in and meet any parts demand. Reality will dictate only small enthusiast companies will jump in with their limited runs and what seems like rather obscene prices. That’ll survive some rusted on diehards, maybe.

Sadly I’d think it’s much easier to keep a 1940’s car on the road today and going forward (since everything was designed to be rebuildable and everything was made of metal, glass and easily available materials).

A VF, which was designed with modular replacement of components all of which are made of plastics, will be an entirely different proposition in 20 years. The plastics trim items, switch gear bodies, etc all start to disintegrate. Who knows what parts will be available down the track. Will there even be a market for parts when everyone has moved to electric vehicles? Who knows.

Even going to the wreckers now and picking up parts that you want to use in 20 years may be problematic as it depends on tne chemical composition of plastics and how long they’ve been designed to last in this throw away world we live in.

Best is to enjoy your car or cars now and if it becomes too expensive to keep, sell it/them. Trying to guess if it will be a worthwhile investment, which is what I read between the lines, is anyone’s guess... History dictates cars continue to drop in value after purchase until the young grow up and want a project car based on what their childhood idols drove.. Then they spend huge sums of $ and personal effort which is what really drives the price... very few cars appreciate in value sitting in a garage unrestored, very few.

Enjoy your car now as no-one knows the future... After all, COVID35 may wipe us all off the planet, or as an individual, before then you may have a myocardial infarction and it simply won’t matter :eek:

I’m now going out for a long drive :p

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
To counter @vc commodore view just a little, even though I agree with some of what he says, there are probably more old Mustang vehicles on US roads than all our commodores as the USA has a huge population and a huge car culture. As such economies of scale allow others to come to the game and supply parts for old cars.

We are in a different ball game down under, no diamond or gridded square fields to run around or across. We have an elliptical field with a similar shaped ball that bounces oddly. We are different.

As to the VF’s, it’ll increasingly become harder to get panels, switches, interiors trim items and the like, unless one is willing to spend lots of cash. It’s sadly the price to pay for a rather small market which will get smaller and smaller with the passage of time. If they were sold in the millions, the economies of scale would help after market companies jump in and meet any parts demand. Reality will dictate only small enthusiast companies will jump in with their limited runs and what seems like rather obscene prices. That’ll survive some rusted on diehards, maybe.

Sadly I’d think it’s much easier to keep a 1940’s car on the road today and going forward (since everything was designed to be rebuildable and everything was made of metal, glass and easily available materials).

A VF, which was designed with modular replacement of components all of which are made of plastics, will be an entirely different proposition in 20 years. The plastics trim items, switch gear bodies, etc all start to disintegrate. Who knows what parts will be available down the track. Will there even be a market for parts when everyone has moved to electric vehicles? Who knows.

Even going to the wreckers now and picking up parts that you want to use in 20 years may be problematic as it depends on tne chemical composition of plastics and how long they’ve been designed to last in this throw away world we live in.

Best is to enjoy your car or cars now and if it becomes too expensive to keep, sell it/them. Trying to guess if it will be a worthwhile investment, which is what I read between the lines, is anyone’s guess... History dictates cars continue to drop in value after purchase until the young grow up and want a project car based on what their childhood idols drove.. Then they spend huge sums of $ and personal effort which is what really drives the price... very few cars appreciate in value sitting in a garage unrestored, very few.

Enjoy your car now as no-one knows the future... After all, COVID35 may wipe us all off the planet, or as an individual, before then you may have a myocardial infarction and it simply won’t matter :eek:

No more than 5 K's ! :D

Depends where Downunder is in OZ ! ;)
Didnt know you still had your licence at young age of 119 :eek:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
No more than 5 K's ! :D

Depends where Downunder is in OZ ! ;)
Didnt know you still had your licence at young age of 119 :eek:
These days Australians are know around the world for meat pies, kangaroos and Aussie rules. Not for rugby or Holden cars :( that”s irrespective of where in Aus one lives :p

Yes, spritely for 119, just give me a wide berth if you see me on the roads :eek:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

With the aftermarket supply, interior parts are available for older vehicles....And good chance, in the coming years, the catalogue will just increase.....

Yes, there will be parts that won't be available, but that's where developing a network of friends, with like minded views will come in handy....It means you won't fall into the grasp of the vultures wanting to ape your wallet, for their personal retirement fund.

Clintix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS Regal Peacock Sedan
The Holden dealerships still floating around in the west have either been renamed or closed down completely or have little stock.