Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's left of Holden

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
My first car was a second hand LC GTR with 161 engine I purchased at Sydney Motor Auctions in Lidcome when I was 17. I got it for a bid of about $1120.
Same my first car was a 2nd hand white LC GTR Torana. It was a piece of junk and learnt so much about cars working on it. I did love it and wish I still had it. lol

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
My first car was a Holden HD Special X2, bought it in 1966. Yes still love the note on the exhaust, my second car was a HT 253 V8 3 on the tree sedan and they were called them "WHITE HOT OFFER" a Cheap sedan with a V8 under the Bonnet bough this Holden in 1969 and my 3rd Holden I bought was the HQ GTS 308 Monaro which I still have it today and bough this car in December 1971. Soon it will be 49 years old.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I thought the 253 was a great engine,similar fuel consumption to the 6 and and more smoother power and also handled the power steer that HQ/HJ needed.
I worked for GMAC in the 1970's and had friends working at Pagewood,there was a story with the Pistons they used in production 253's but i can't remember what it was.Someone on here may know.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
My first car was a Holden HD Special X2, bought it in 1966. Yes still love the note on the exhaust, my second car was a HT 253 V8 3 on the tree sedan and they were called them "WHITE HOT OFFER" a Cheap sedan with a V8 under the Bonnet bough this Holden in 1969 and my 3rd Holden I bought was the HQ GTS 308 Monaro which I still have it today and bough this car in December 1971. Soon it will be 49 years old.

Fantastic you still have that GTS.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Same my first car was a 2nd hand white LC GTR Torana. It was a piece of junk and learnt so much about cars working on it. I did love it and wish I still had it. lol

I went from the LC to a four cylinder LX Torana 4 speed 4 cylinder 1900 cc motor and then found what I was told was a LJ GTR XU1. I bought that it was unregistered and had a A9X bonnet scoop on it that looked crap. Put a new bonnet on it back to stock. Turns out I got conned and I worked out it was just a LJ GTR not an XU1. It had the nice triple strombergs and was a genuine GTR but no bathurst tank. I only paid $2500 for it when I got it but it was pretty crappy. It needed a respray and interior redone but mechanically in was good. It was a great car after a respray. I must admit at the time I did not know it was not an XU1 and so purchased new XU1 stickers to put on the spoiler after the respray. I wish I still had that car too. My next car after that was a low kilometre XD Falcon panel van with 4 speed and the 250cu engine. Even that would be nice to have now to carry stuff around.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
It had the nice triple strombergs and was a genuine GTR but no bathurst tank.
In the early day they made GTR's with the XU1 motor in it (Tripple Strombergs) for the cops High way Patrol. Yes people waited for them at the Auctions

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Stuff like that is probably why people were still paying more from the auctions for a thrashed ex-police VT Exec with screw-holes & missing trim all through the dash, and some indeterminate irremovable stains in the rear, than an immaculate lower-km not-ex-police VT Berlina for sale on the same day. Despite the fact that, by VT, in NSW if not everywhere else, there wasn’t anything more exciting in a police car than maybe a bigger alternator ...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i'm having flashbacks to all kinds of GM-H cars in this video

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
In the early day they made GTR's with the XU1 motor in it (Tripple Strombergs) for the cops High way Patrol. Yes people waited for them at the Auctions
I was told it was an ex police car. I wish I still had the rego papers or something to know what the engine number was. It did not have a bathurst tank though. Great that you have had the HQ all that time.