Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's Needed to Turbo Charge a Holden 5.0l V8

thorntonas

vr-st8o-project
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0l V8
Hi Guy's
I have a Holden 5.0l V8 currently sitting in my Vr Statesman and i'm thinking of throwing a turbo charger in the mix.

However i don't know where to start.

Can someone point me in the right direction. (I.e. what internal mods are needed etc.)

Thanks much appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_9413.jpg
    100_9413.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,687

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
You can get away with stock internals but only if you run low boost. Up the booost, and your need to spend more money

Whats your budget?

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
money.

lol

once youve got that bring it to someone.. thats your safest bet

youll need the manifolds, turbo, oil lines, piping, injectors, tune, better fuel system youd probly want better brakes

internaly not sure how strong the 5l is but iv seen them running 6psi superchargers with stock internals

thorntonas

vr-st8o-project
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0l V8
Thanks Stealthy and Harvy1,
Currently i'm not worried about a budget - cause i'm not sure what's involved with turbo charging my engine -

however i'm looking at rebuilding my engine - just hit 200,000 kms and she's had a few problems that are fixed now.

DAMO_5L

ILLEGAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN turbo 5L V8 aero, Rodeo minitruck, VR SS 355
i been there i turbo'd my 5L. standard internals it made 357kw. its harder than u think to do, ther is fark all space under the bonnet to put a decent size turbo on them. i had a T04Z on ther to start off but it was about 5" outta the bonnet. so i'd say gt35/40 cums on boost hard on mine at bout 2800 and pulls like anything. bosch 044 pump, u can use standard fuel rail and lines just use a rising rate fuel psi reg, a cooler, and u have to use a aftermarkt comp. i used a microtech Lt8, anything else u need to know ask. ill be glad to help u out

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
i been there i turbo'd my 5L. standard internals it made 357kw. its harder than u think to do, ther is fark all space under the bonnet to put a decent size turbo on them. i had a T04Z on ther to start off but it was about 5" outta the bonnet. so i'd say gt35/40 cums on boost hard on mine at bout 2800 and pulls like anything. bosch 044 pump, u can use standard fuel rail and lines just use a rising rate fuel psi reg, a cooler, and u have to use a aftermarkt comp. i used a microtech Lt8, anything else u need to know ask. ill be glad to help u out
how much boost did u need to make that, and was anything else dun to the engine , and what dyno cheers
also i thought the t04z's were that same physical size as the gt35

DAMO_5L

ILLEGAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN turbo 5L V8 aero, Rodeo minitruck, VR SS 355
12psi, completely stock motor but different cam. To4z's have a different housing to 35/40 and diff dump pipe.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
u can use standard fuel rail and lines just use a rising rate fuel psi reg, a cooler, and u have to use a aftermarkt comp.

no you dont. the standard ecu is just fine. get a 2 bar map sensor and a new memcal. also, why do you need a rising rate fuel reg? just get bigger injectors and a tune to suit them. save yourself about $1000 there

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
i was talking to my tuner about throwing a turbo on the old vp v8 , he said u can tune the delco ecu but he said it does take along time to tune if your tuning for boost , he told me i should buy the haltech plug in ecu, also i would like to know where i should run the water lines from eg supply and return

Last edited: