Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whats noiser gilmer belt drives or straight cut timing gears (202)

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
just wondering how much difference between the crow straight cut timing gear set and the gilmer belt drive kit and are they both for show im talking for a 202 btw

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
go for straight cut timing gears for the ricer they will be cheaper long term as you can keep original belts check you can buy anywhere if you break one.

scott

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
go for straight cut timing gears for the ricer they will be cheaper long term as you can keep original belts check you can buy anywhere if you break one.

scott

yeh i spose it dose have the advantage over the gilmer kkit

oztatts

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman
well from my experience. the sraight cut gears are great. no chain stretch or breaks and have the lovely whine.. my 202 torana had straight cut gears and gilmoure drive.. sounded awesome and i only broke one belt in like the 18 months i had it.. but the gears i have found to be louder. just bout to pust some on my vq stato.. already got the gilmoure on it but puttin billet gears to keep timin solid so i dont stretch the chain when runnin a muck..

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The sound of my head banging against the table....

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
well from my experience. the sraight cut gears are great. no chain stretch or breaks and have the lovely whine.. my 202 torana had straight cut gears and gilmoure drive.. sounded awesome and i only broke one belt in like the 18 months i had it.. but the gears i have found to be louder. just bout to pust some on my vq stato.. already got the gilmoure on it but puttin billet gears to keep timin solid so i dont stretch the chain when runnin a muck..

I hear that timing chains for Holden 6's are pretty rare.....:p

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Yeah wasn't it only the GTi motors?

Nah Vtec ones :p

Funny thing is I have always run alloy heilical cut gears on my old 202s and NEVER stripped a gear actually never worn one out, usually something else broke first. Even my last 202 which was pretty wild ran heilical cut gears without dramas.

cheers
Scott

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
While on the subject, Do straight cut gears make more noise when put under higher loads (e.g heaver valve springs,higher lift cams and increased rocker ratios).The reason i ask is that i only once had straight cuts on a stock 202 and they where really quiet,yet on other 202s seem to be noisey.(yes i do know 202s dont have idlers:))