Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats that 'clunk' in my trans/diff ?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
my Clubsport used to clunk a little, changed the oil and put in the additive - sorted.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
my Clubsport used to clunk a little, changed the oil and put in the additive - sorted.

+1.....I used the nulon heavy duty LSD fluid that has the addative already blended in....worked perfectly

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Nulon G70.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Not sure if the additive will do much. Lsd additive mainly tries to stop chattering so your centre lasts longer. I'd check your driveshafts like someone above mentioned. Could be a bad bearing or backlash set wrong too. But check everything else out first. You would be lucky to fix a clunk with new oil.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure if the additive will do much. Lsd additive mainly tries to stop chattering so your centre lasts longer. I'd check your driveshafts like someone above mentioned. Could be a bad bearing or backlash set wrong too. But check everything else out first. You would be lucky to fix a clunk with new oil.

yeah I was surprised it did tbh, the clunk though it's such a pita as it can be a few things. gearbox pressure bs, this that and the other - the additive definitely stops some of them.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
yeah I was surprised it did tbh, the clunk though it's such a pita as it can be a few things. gearbox pressure bs, this that and the other - the additive definitely stops some of them.

Hey it's definitely worth a go. Oil costs bugger all so if it doesn't work no great loss.

Plus you can always catch it, filter and re use if you need to pull your diff apart after trying it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey it's definitely worth a go. Oil costs bugger all so if it doesn't work no great loss.

agreed, that and a lot of mechanics will give you a sideways look if you ask them about it. To my knowledge it's not like it's common knowledge even though it's a common complaint in these vehicles.

JoshR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 2
Ahhh I just came here to ask the same thing; my vx SS clunks when almost at a standstill, kinda the same after going from a standstill when accelerating, feels like a 1 sec delay before it picks up and starts going; should I do the fluid change trick ? Might just throw it at my mechanic and are what he says.