Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats that 'clunk' in my trans/diff ?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 2002
What can anyone tell me about a 'clunk' noise in the rear of my SS ?
Its an auto and when coasting to a stop or going around corners at idle the noise appears.
It was there when I bought the car 2 years ago, but was hardly noticable.
I heard a rumour that this model had a noise where the trans and diff would take up slack under no load.
It is definatly getting worse since I modified the engine from 220kw to 280kw.
Am I killing my universals/drivetrain with the increase in power ?
Its only got 115k on the clock.
Advice would be appreciated.
C

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
More then Likley Diuff Chatter, or backlash Get ur Oil changed and the Additive added and see how it goes.
Good luck
Dave

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
OLS108 said:
More then Likley Diuff Chatter, or backlash Get ur Oil changed and the Additive added and see how it goes.
Good luck
Dave

I would suggest the same, will take about 100km's of driving and it will magically dissapear.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 2002
Sounds grate.I'll stuff some banana skins in with the sawdust and then sell it.
Seriesly fellas is it that simple ?
It had the oil + filter in the trans changed 5000k ago, but not the diff.
I really like this car, had it 3 years and I recon its in its prime.
Winding it out to 130 in second is like an aeroplane taking off pulling your head back.
I have had to learn to drive with one hand as the other one is on my c***.
My mississ calls it the 'dick pulla' and cant understand why it gets more back rubs (clean+polish) than her !
I'll change the oil in the diff and see what happens.
I respect other peers experiance.
Here's hoping,
C

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Carlos the bastard said:
What can anyone tell me about a 'clunk' noise in the rear of my SS ?
Its an auto and when coasting to a stop or going around corners at idle the noise appears.
It was there when I bought the car 2 years ago, but was hardly noticable.
I heard a rumour that this model had a noise where the trans and diff would take up slack under no load.
It is definatly getting worse since I modified the engine from 220kw to 280kw.
Am I killing my universals/drivetrain with the increase in power ?
Its only got 115k on the clock.
Advice would be appreciated.
C

I got a similar problem with my super 6... I reckon its worn pinion bearings in the diff...as they wear the pinion shaft starts to slip forward and back clanking the pinion gear with the crownwheel in the diff...Mine is most noticable when putting the car into reverse.

VZLAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
I had same problem in my diff.. Changed the oil with Motul.. GEARff Competition SAE75W140 oil and added the holden lsd additive at same time... No noises at all from diff now and the new oil seems to have given the diff a new lease of life... The Motul oil isnt cheap at $40 a litre ( needing 2 litres)and the Holden additive is $35 but damn it sure does the trick.. :thumbsup:

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
hey ive got a vx supercharged and i wondered if that holden additive goes in the super6 diff aswell cause i got that slight diff clunk sometimes.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
May aswell use banana peals if the pinion bearings are the cause of the clanking !!!

Actually the price of the additive might be cheaper than the bananas right now :D

If the clank is like a hammer hitting metal it will be the pinion bearings !!!

Does the diff whine ???

My car had a slight whine and a slight audible clunk when going from reverse to drive and visa versa when I first got it... I thought it was the infamous supercharger whine at first but later found out it was the diff bearings... So I thought I'd put a new thicker synthetic oil in the diff to see if that helped quiet it down... 10,000 kms later = $40 wasted effort on oil and crawling under the car ... as it whines like a banshee now and the clanking is progrssively getting loader... it's rebuild time :bang:.

It costs around $1200 for a fully rebuild open wheeler or swapping to a used LSD should end up costing around $600 for the LSD centre and $200 to get it checked out with new pinion bearings and seals fitted if you put the centre in and out of the car yourself.

I'll be trying to find a good 2nd hand unit from a wreck and fit it myself first to see if it's any good and then look at the new seals and pinion bearings if it makes any noises.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 2002
It's more of a clunk than a clank.
I put some 80/140 expensive racing gear oil ($40 for 2L) and the GM additive ($38 for 100ml) in the diff last nite. Only done 60k so far so not shure if its fixed the noise.
If this doesnt fix it then I will look at the driveshaft universals.
Is there a problem with early VT's and a 2 piece setup?
I read somewhere about changing to a one piece.
It's definatly getting worse since modifing the mota.
This is the price you pay for more power!
Cheers for the advice.
C

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
try tightening the bolts that hold transmission to transmission x-member.