Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats the best implant?

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
It not on the road yet but,

I have a HG Monaro,

I have two motors to choose from,

A chev and a holden (both V8),

BUT, I was toying with the idea of an injected chev V8,

Now, I know jack **** when it comes to engine performance,

But, I just want to know,

If, I was to put an injected chev engine,

What one would I put in,

I only want to do this once

so, I want to get it right the first time.

Can anyone give me some info, please.

Thanks

Tom

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
Simple rule If your going to rev it you gotta chev it Go with a 350 chev best bang for your bucs motor and if you can afford it go injected (more power less fuel).

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Personally I would look at going an injected Holden 5.0. They are much easier to register as it is basically classed as a 308 that has been converted to EFI.
AirStrike :air:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Didn't the monare have a 350 option? I'm not sure, but if it did. Then a chev engine would be considered a 350 with injection right?

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
Implants

speedotom said:
It not on the road yet but,

I have a HG Monaro,

I have two motors to choose from,

A chev and a holden (both V8),

BUT, I was toying with the idea of an injected chev V8,

Now, I know jack **** when it comes to engine performance,

But, I just want to know,

If, I was to put an injected chev engine,

What one would I put in,

I only want to do this once

so, I want to get it right the first time.

Can anyone give me some info, please.

Thanks

Tom

I'll probably go with the chev injected, but what kind of car will I get it out of.

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
Vt commodore onwards or get a 350 with aftermarket injection

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I'm not 100% on this, but in the latest street machine, there was a red torana in there with a corvette LT1 OHC motor (i think), he cannot speak highly enough of this motor and to boot, it's 350 cid. worth a look i reckon.

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
Definately 350. I'd go a Scat 383 cast crank because its not much more than a regrind. Fit mid 80's TPI injection. Cheapest and perfect for most uses. Later years had LT1 injection. Costs a lot more and gain stuff all. All up fitted it will cost less than a Gen 3 sitting on garage floor. You fit engine and Castle Auto Elecs will supply you a loom. Very easy. :yeah:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I owned two project Monaros, HK and HG GTS I had to sell them both when I got married overseas (ran out of money :) ). If the Monaro wasn't a V8 originally then make sure you have whatever the original motor was also in the shed and if it's at all possible keep it the original colour (you'll be happy you did this one day). Aside from that, if you want a really fast engine for really cheap and no problems with the install there's just no option but the carbureted small block chev, it's more less impossible to build one with less than 300 horsepower and costs almost nothing for the parts. If you want more installation troubles the fuel injected version will be more responsive, but really with the cheap high performance parts available for the carby chev you'll make much more power more cheaply that way. You can just about build a Nascar engine with off the shelf parts if you wanted to. A 350 block, 9:1 compression, victor jnr or similar manifold, vortec heads, good cam. You'll be looking at a brand new 400hp easy and would probably cost you less than a stock rebuilt Holden EFI V8. And also be the right engine for the vintage of the car in my opinion. As the 350 and both Holden V8's were options on the HG Monaro you'll whiz straight through rego with either.

I was going to run a 305 chev and turbo 350 gearbox (from a 79 or 80 Camaro) in my HG and 253 and turbo 350 in the HK (still have the motor and box for the HG in the shed), looking back a 350 would have been smarter and cheaper but I was young and the 350 was a bit too much for me at the time.

Dazz I think he's talking about the original Chev small block, not the LS1, there were a couple different injection setups on it in the Camaros, Corvettes and the trucks in the 80's and early 90's

EcotecManiac, the ZR1 Corvette might be the car the engine your talking about came from? I think it's called the LT5, probably the best engine that's ever been in a Corvette, makes the LS1 look like a retro boat anchor that's for sure

zr1_detail3_450.jpg

Last edited:

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
I agree with what he said (a carbed 350 will suit the era and be very cheap horse power) injection will make the job alot harder due to sensors computers etc its going to come down to budget.