Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whats the best tyre size to put on for 20 inch wheels?

James

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2
Hey everyone,
Just bought some 20 inch chrome wheels and was wondering whats the best tyre size to put on?
235/45/20's? or what?

I have a holden commodore vy s series 2.

thanks alot!

new question :

whats better and the difference between - 225/35/20 & 245/30/20 , as it says both are able to be used for 20's.

I have a 04 VY Series 2

thanks

Last edited:

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
235/30R20 is the size you need.

If you put 235/35R20, you will think the car is using heaps more fuel, and also lack power, but mainly, it will scrub and rub on your front struts.

I damaged a guard on my WH Statesman by putting the wrong tyre size on.

Last edited:

James

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2
guys whats better and the difference between - 225/35/20 & 245/30/20 , as it says both are able to be used for 20's.

I have a 04 VY Series 2

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
245/30/20 are a wider tyre so they wont be as stretched if you have 8.5inch wide rims, these may rub on your front strut towers depending on the offset of your wheels so some people go the 225's instead. main issue you have to worry about is the load rating on the tyres because if the rating is lower than the tyre placard you could get defected.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
You will find that 245/30R20 is the only size with a legal load rating (91+). You will need a wheel with a low enough offset for the tyre to clear the strut, or coilovers which have a slimmer spring/strut. Front guards will need to be rolled and possibly slightly pumped/flared if a wheel with a low offset is used.

Standard offset is +48, something like +30 would mean the wheels 'stick out' 18mm more than standard. I'm not sure how low an offset you need, maybe someone else will know :p

225/30R20 avoids all these issues, but is illegal (load rating is 90 or lower, which is too low) and you will get a defect. This is pretty much the first thing the cop will check (tyre load rating) when they pull over a Commodore with 20" wheels.

Last edited:

James

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2
I have these wheels available 20 x 8.5 alexia gestalt : products

So i can only use 245/30R20 to not get defected? Also are 20's are legal on 2004 VY S Series 2?

And how hard and whats the cost to roll the front guards.

Thanks

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
So i can only use 245/30R20 to not get defected? Also are 20's are legal on 2004 VY S Series 2?
Yes and Yes.

If you look on the inside of your drivers door there will be the tyre placard. On the placard it will have a list of wheel/tyre sizes and load rating. Any tyre you use must match or exceed the lowest rated tyre on the tyre placard. I think your car will have 235/40R18 listed with a load rating of 91 as the lowest one, but go have a look anyway.

Nankang 245/30R20 for instance have a load rating of 95, thus being legal. There are some other (more expensive) brands that also make tyres in that size and have a suitable load rating.

There is a lot of misinformation about what size wheels are legal and what not. There used to be a 2" rule where you could only fit wheels that were 2" larger than the biggest factory wheels, so if say 17" was the largest factory wheels for a car, 20" would be illegal, but that law is now defunct. Even if it was still a valid law you would be fine because VYs came with 18s.

The new laws say that the overall rolling diameter of the wheel/tyre must not be more than 15mm greater then the largest wheel/tyre listed on the tyre placard - therefore if you put big wheels on you must use low profile tyres, which makes sense. The standard 235/45R17 on a VY S-pack is 321.65mm, and a 245/30R20 is 327.5mm, so you are ok there :)

There are also laws regarding wheel offset/track, but:
a) i don't think anyone even bothers to enforce them
b) if you had it wheel with enough offset to violate the laws, it probably wouldn't fit on the car with 245 wide tyres :p

Last edited:

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
And how hard and whats the cost to roll the front guards.

Thanks

is your car lowered yet? in most cases you wont need the fronts rolled it is mainly the back which needs to be rolled if your car is lowered