Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whats the best tyre size to put on for 20 inch wheels?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4

trent d

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive
Tha biggest that will fit under the guards

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
235/30R20 is the size you need.

If you put 235/25R20, you will think the car is using heaps more fuel, and also lack power, but mainly, it will scrub and rub on your front struts.

I damaged a guard on my WH Statesman by putting the wrong tyre size on.

All this info is quite wrong, starting with the correct tyre size being 245/30R20 for a VY

James

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2
My VY S Series 2 is not lowered at stock height. (Though i wish to lower 50mm legally?)

So what would be better the 225/35/20's or 245/30/20's?

My tyre placard states : Load index of 92 and a Speed category not less than H. Max load rating not less than 630kg.

And if i was to lower the car by 50mm what problems would this cause? Just need to roll the guards?

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
All this info is quite wrong, starting with the correct tyre size being 245/30R20 for a VY

The only part that can be wrong is that first line, because the rest is what I experienced with my own car so it can't be wrong.

But a mistake I made was "235/25R20", that was mean't to be 235/35R20.

I seriously thought something was wrong with my Statesman, I had plenty of power for a V6, then all the sudden it didn't want to go at all. I took it to another workshop and they done all the tests, fuel pressure, compression, hooked it up to a scope and a scan tool. Then when I went up a driveway and the L/H/F tyre pushed the guard out, I took the wheels off and put the standard ones back on, then it was back to normal, fuel usage was good again, power was back to normal, so I sold the tyres as VE tyres and bought new ones.

Last edited: