Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the deal with shortened front shocks?

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
I've been told by a few people now that you cant purchase shorter shocks to go in the front struts, you need to replace the entire strut - true? Front struts are bloody expensive to replace... Thanks a lot, trying to work out this group buy...

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Hmmm, my mechanic got me shortened shocks all round, he recommended it cos i had FE2 stock, and was lookin at lowering, he wouldnt put my new springs in at the time though, he said it was too low so now i only have the rear lowered cos i got bored one day and did it. But yes, you can get shortened shocks for the front, and its just like replacing the shocker normally, annoying

silver_bullet

Now Genesis Blue Bullet
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore S
Doctor Sodways said:
Hmmm, my mechanic got me shortened shocks all round, he recommended it cos i had FE2 stock, and was lookin at lowering, he wouldnt put my new springs in at the time though, he said it was too low so now i only have the rear lowered cos i got bored one day and did it. But yes, you can get shortened shocks for the front, and its just like replacing the shocker normally, annoying

so he didnt put lower springs on the front for u, he took out fe2 and kept standard spring??? lil confused. my mate said same thing to me about replacing the whole strut, thats why i sorta wanna find out wat the go is cuz macpherson struts aint cheap.

ProMaX

Make way!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
04 VZ SS Impulse Blue Ute
so do you HAVE to replace the entire strut is that just an option?

jack: whats ur msn?

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah, he wouldnt put the lovells springs in, he left the FE2 in, he said it was going to be stupidly low and i wouldnt last a week without defect. From what i remember its just an insert in the front, not an entire strut

silver_bullet

Now Genesis Blue Bullet
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore S
Doctor Sodways said:
Nah, he wouldnt put the lovells springs in, he left the FE2 in, he said it was going to be stupidly low and i wouldnt last a week without defect. From what i remember its just an insert in the front, not an entire strut

an insert??? has anyone just left there fe2 in and put superlows in? u dont HAVE to replace struts rite???:unsure: wats it ride like with shorter struts an good ol' fe2, handling?

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, i had FE2 (standard for me) springs all round for about 2 weeks before i put the lovells in the rear, and the ride wasnt too bad, firm, handled well (probably helped by my 17s and 235 tyres) and very tolerable, i only put the lovells in cos its not low enough for my liking. And an insert is how it was described to me, someone who has replaced the front shocks themselves will be able to tell you more about them, but FE2 and short strokes is a good combination of ride height and handling

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
ProMaX said:
so do you HAVE to replace the entire strut is that just an option?

jack: whats ur msn?

This is what i'm trying to find out. On the monroe website, there is clearly a picture of a 'cartridge' to fit in the normal struts...

For my MSN click on the little MSN guy in the top right corner of my posts... i'm not on very often though...

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The vn vp take a cartridge to fit in the strut. The vr onwards are a one piece strut & shock.

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, but the problem is, do you need a different strut to fit shortened cartidges. Im heading down to see my mechanic today to try and sort out whats in my car, and what needs to be done to get the shortened shocks in