Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the deal with shortened front shocks?

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
You cannot get a shortened strut for the vn vp as such. The tyres would rub against the bottom spring plate. The overall height of the shock cartridge is shortened to take the lower spring.

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Monroe sell them as a sealed unit - you can get them, but they're much more expensive than a cartridge would be (160 for vn/vp at group buy prices)

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Gt gas cartridge for lowered part no# 25-3632
sensatrac cartridge for lowered part no#27-5632
These cartridges are sold in pairs.

jack.mc

Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
yeah, thats what i thought, but the guy I'm organising the buy with says that part no# 25-3632 is $160 a pair, and is a full shortened strut. Do you have one of these parts on your car?

Clearly, the pic on the far right of this page is an insert for a strut... http://www.monroe.com.au/default.asp?pageid=Products&template=POPUP&sid=10

I'll email the guy again now...

jack.mc

Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Ok, i think i've got it. American Autos (who know their stuff, charge fairly) sell that part for $189.95, and call it MONROE GAS STRUT INSERTS COMMODORE. So i guess the inserts are just bloody expensive. So they're $30 cheaper in the group buy... still seems like a big ripoff to me. I'm only geting low springs, so i prolly dont need to replace them - then again, when i DO need to, it'll be a pain taking the strut off again... what a dilemma!!

thanks for the help vt1538

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
No dramas mate.
I couldnt understand how they classed it as a fully sealed strut for the VP either. The strut for the vn vp commodore is part of the wheel stub axle where the later models the stub axle is seperate.

LeighGray

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive V6 Ute
Hey sorry to start up an old thread. Shorten shocks for VP/VN are no longer sold in New Zealand so Im wondering if anyone has machined down the factory housing and fitted a shorter shock insert that way? Any help is appreciated. Cheers