Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats the diff between solid n hydraulic cams

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
hey guys
i was wondering what i could do with my 202 and i was thinking of doing a cam but im not sure what type of cam to put in it and thats when i saw there was hyd and sold cams but im not sure on what the difference is... can they both be put on a std 202

bjwynd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl
You can run solid cam but you need solid lifters and there noisy

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Cams come in stages and I have a stage 1 as I'm on lpg

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Great answers so far people... NOT!!!! :lmao:

A solid cam, uses a solid lifter. Its pretty much just a round hollow chuck of metal. The lifter rides on the cam lobe and the cam lobe moves lifter up and down. A solid cam needs a lash setting, a space between rocker arm and valve stem

A hyd cam uses a lifter that is like above but also has a spring and plunger inside it. The lifter fills with oil and pumps up. On adjustment, no slack or space is needed between the rocker and valve stem as the lifter bleeds off and pumps up with oil to chusion the valve train.

Solid cams do not "hit harder" or run rougher then a hyd cam. The cam duration and LSA is what causes a cam to sound wild or mild. Both a solid and hyd. will and can sound rough or smooth based on the size of it.

Yes a solid cam is louder running. It has a noticeable click. Kind of sounds like a sewing machine running, again thats due to the slack in the lash adjustment

The main problem with most solid lifter cams are their power bands are usually high RPM, because they're designed to rev very high for racing applications. Most production solid cams have lots of overlap, so they're piss poor for pulling vacuum, and if you're running accessories or have an automatic trans, can be a problem.

Hydraulic roller cams are much better suited for street/strip application, allow for fairly high RPM, and you don't have to worry about adjusting valves at all. Plus, they're friendly for engines running accessories, especially stuff dependant on engine vacuum.

Hope this helps a little.... :D

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Cams come in stages and I have a stage 1 as I'm on lpg

LOL....

The difference cant be basically spelt out as to what type of lifters they use. Hydrualic use hydraulic lifters and solid use solid.
There are pros and cons to each camshaft. Solid are good for making more power and revs to a degree. The cons are they're noisy, u need adjustable rockere and the clearances need adjusting fairly regulary.

Hydrualic cam's are quieter more "street" friendly as in they're usually easier to cope with everyday. your clearances are compensated for by your the oil flowing into your lifter that the valvetrain is maintenance Free compared to a solid setup. Theres Potential to make decent power on these.

As for your other part of the question yes you can get both types for a 202

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
LOL....

The difference cant be basically spelt out as to what type of lifters they use. Hydrualic use hydraulic lifters and solid use solid.
There are pros and cons to each camshaft. Solid are good for making more power and revs to a degree. The cons are they're noisy, u need adjustable rockere and the clearances need adjusting fairly regulary.

Hydrualic cam's are quieter more "street" friendly as in they're usually easier to cope with everyday. your clearances are compensated for by your the oil flowing into your lifter that the valvetrain is maintenance Free compared to a solid setup. Theres Potential to make decent power on these.

As for your other part of the question yes you can get both types for a 202

kool thanks just another qustion what type of cams are the standard 202's running solid or hydralic

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
kool thanks just another qustion what type of cams are the standard 202's running solid or hydralic

Hydraulic.

Honestly mate, for a street engine, stay with hydraulic. For a strong street/race engine then go solid for sure.

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
dose anyone know of a place in melbourne that dose cams for the 202's and what would be an avrage price

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Crow cams or wade cams are both in melbourne and sell cams to suit price would be anywhere between 100-$300 id say depending on cam specs and material