Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats the difference between a series 1 and a series 2 engine???

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows the difference between the series 1 and the series 2 engine......and how to check which one I may have in my vl....cheers

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
all i know is the series 2 have the holes tapped in the block for a turbo conversion.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
I wonder if the engine numbers were altered or what number the series 2 engines started at

I have a series 1 wagon with an exchange engine which has the turbo water connection near the block drainplug so I guess the block is series 2??

also it seems there isnt any series 2 badge or other identification on the series 2 cars?

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
thats cos there is no series 2, there were just running changes not all made at one time. 'series one' blocks are NA blocks and 'series 2' blocks are turbo blocks, presumably introduced to cut costs by having only one block across the engine range instead of 2. i don't think there is any way to tell from the engine number but i'm not sure