Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what's the difference between the v6 and v8 auto boxes?

vnstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina s1 5.0L
hey guys. my vn v8's got a flogged box and i've just been given a v6 box with a damaged housing. I'm wondering what the difference between the v6 and the v8 th700 is.

what i'm thinking is use my v8 bell housing and torque converter and stuff and use the back end, all the gears and clutches and stuff, out of the v6 box. does that sounds possible? if it is, it means i wont have to fork out for a new box :)

thanks,

stu

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Well the owners handbook says they both have the same ratios but the refill oil capacity is 4.8 for V6 and 5.0 for V8 so my guess is the V8 has a larger torque converter maybe?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
From memory the imput shafts are different on the V8 and V6 boxes. Yes the extra fluid capacity is made up in the TC.
AirStrike :air:

vnstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina s1 5.0L
From memory the imput shafts are different on the V8 and V6 boxes. Yes the extra fluid capacity is made up in the TC.
AirStrike :air:

input shaft being between the torque converter and engine crank? well, flywheel...?

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
my theory was when mine blew if it did it once it'll happen again so when i went hunting for a new 1 i got quoted around 2k from a few place4s for a new 1 or $1500 for a rebuilt with stage 2 shift kit so i got the shift kit and never looked back cos the box feels rock solid now and it shifts ten times better

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
the input shaft is between the torque converter and the box.

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
Jolly Wreckers in Dandenong sells them for $130, I found recently rebuilt one only done 8,000 kms since rebuilt (saw a sticker on drivers door frame) so grabbed it and man, it is so clean inside and out!!, now its in my garage. If you're lucky you can find them in good wreckers.
Cheers
AP

vnstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina s1 5.0L
Jolly Wreckers in Dandenong sells them for $130, I found recently rebuilt one only done 8,000 kms since rebuilt (saw a sticker on drivers door frame) so grabbed it and man, it is so clean inside and out!!, now its in my garage. If you're lucky you can find them in good wreckers.
Cheers
AP

a v8 box for $130?

i want one!

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
if ya can get a v8 auto for that price i would be buying as many as ya could. ya can get good monye for them even if they need a rebuild.

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
Thought V8 transmissions were the same as V6 transmission, only that torque converter was different?
If it was an V8 there, I'll be first person to take it out!
Cheers
AP