Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what's the difference between the v6 and v8 auto boxes?

cracker

Reaction score
they are pretty simular the v8 has a different convertor larger also i think th input shaft is slightly different and the bell houseing is a different design

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The V8 one will be the chev bolt pattern so they should be the same as the ones on the small blocks in the states. Maybe some import place brings them in for cheap?

vnstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina s1 5.0L
The V8 one will be the chev bolt pattern so they should be the same as the ones on the small blocks in the states. Maybe some import place brings them in for cheap?

i had a bit of a look, there's T700's all over in the states, but the cost to ship them international makes it not really worth it. maybe if you wanted to buy a whole shipping container full it would be worth it. there seems to be a market for them...

so torque converter, input shaft...? that i can deal with. i was more worried about the clutch/bands arrangement being different

cracker

Reaction score
from the best of my knowledge the internals like very simluar

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
would a v8 box fit in a v6 vp?

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
well if your v6 auto trans buggers up and you are able to obtain a v8 one for example

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
fair question - I'm also wondering this, looking at a transmission change further down the track. Will a V8 transmission fit? What else could I stick in? I'd really like to get a 6 speed manual into mine eventually - can anyone tell me (in a nutshell) what's involved?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I happened to be on the CRS website today and noted that they do a converter "AP 52 Holden V6 T700 auto to Holden V8 & Chev "

So there you go, buy it once and get cheap gearboxes for a looooooooong time

Also seems you can go the other way around "AP 112 V6 Holden to Chev Auto (T350/T400/T700/Powerglide)"

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
I happened to be on the CRS websote today and noted that they do a converter "AP 52 Holden V6 T700 auto to Holden V8 & Chev "

So there you go, buy it once and get cheap gearboxes for a looooooooong time

hahaha, whats the bet that adaptor plate will cost more than a V8 box? If my drunken and cynical mind is wrong then that's a damned good find though!