Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what's the difference between the v6 and v8 auto boxes?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah no doubt it would be a couple/3 hundred :) but it should last you forever!:)

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
fair question - I'm also wondering this, looking at a transmission change further down the track. Will a V8 transmission fit? What else could I stick in? I'd really like to get a 6 speed manual into mine eventually - can anyone tell me (in a nutshell) what's involved?

For a 6 speed, it depends on which box you go for. Assuming you go for a T56, there are a few options.

1. Hunt down a genuine bellhousing and clutch setup from a manual vr/vs/vt s1 gts(senator as well I think), get the front half of the tailshaft too. Find a T56, any T56, stuff around installing the mofo.

2. Get a bellhousing from CRS or dellow. Find a T56 box and a suitable clutch, stuff around installing the mofo, and get the front half of your tailshaft modded to suit. Likely to work out slightly cheaper than hunting down genuine parts but will probably involve more work.

3. Get a mal wood kit - expensive but comprehensive. Apparently an absolute pleasure to fit as well, but they will only supply the full kit, not parts of it.

These are a gross oversimplification, but that's the basics anyway. Oh yeah, forgot the pedal box and centre console. Those all need to change of course. And if you're runnning the holden ratio set, it'll need some shorter diff gears, 100km/h in sixth gear with standard VN diff ratio would be under 1300RPM, not so cool.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
check the vin tag on a v6 against a v8
for my money they are the same just use your bell housing

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
if the auto are the same i reckon that is pretty funny. i sold a v8 one for 700 or something. but surely they couldn't be.
don't the auto's have different numbers on the side

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
ha ha.. i never thought of going out to look at the one in the shed.. so v6 auto;s only fit v6 then

cracker

Reaction score
yes v6 fits v6, v8 fits v8 makes sense dont it lol.
i wouldnt bother putting a v8 box in a v6 it doesnt make any sense

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
if the auto are the same i reckon that is pretty funny. i sold a v8 one for 700 or something. but surely they couldn't be.
don't the auto's have different numbers on the side

Not very strange as the TH700 was redesigned in the 80's to run behind a V8 in the States.