Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats the difference between v6 vt and v6 vs air con compressors?

de_overfiend

Beef is Good
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calias

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You want a Sanden unit as they are good quality compared to the cheap one you linked. However a new Sanden unit is under $800 if you can buy one from Cooldrive. Might even be around $600 IIRC. But you need someone who can buy from Cooldrive as they are wholesalers. That first link is way over priced, that seller gives eBay the nic-name of EPrey....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
VS have two separate hoses/lines that connect to the compressor with a stud for each. The VT has only one stud and the lines are connected to one another with the pad. VS uses o-rings. VT uses rubber coated washer style seal.

Quite different. Go genuine wherever you can.

Wiring is just a single wire iirc to engage the clutch from memory.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Wiring is just a single wire iirc to engage the clutch from memory.

Absolutely correct.

The other main difference is the pulley size which differed somewhat with the VT being rather larger which meant there was less force required to spin the unit and thus was a small fuel consumption decrease I guess because at that point the Holden was rather thirsty and fuel was rapidly rising in cost and every little bit helped I guess. With the VT engine the top idler pulley was decreased in size when this larger pulley version of the compressor was fitted.

In saying the above this configuration was already being fitted in some early 97 Statesman's while the Commodore was still being fitted with the smaller version compressor.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
The vs compressor mount's to the engine mount bracket, vt-vy mount's to the block.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I be going for the complete kit with condenser for the age of the vehicle. You can buy genuine from Auto 8 on ebay that's where I got mine from.