Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats the go with the insane whistle??

c_dowlo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Eexcuitive Sedan
Hey everyone, i have a vp v6 and i have recently slightly changed my exhaust by taking out the last muffler and putting a straight 2.5" pipe on the end out to a tip.

i have a genuine VS CAI on it but ever since i have put the straight pipe on the end when under power and the revs pick up at around 3G you can hear a really loud whistle. it no joke sounds turboed, its that loud and clear.

is this caused by the CAI and can now be heard because of the exhaust change? because u couldnt hear a thing before it was done.

What do you guys think?

Thanks Chris

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Maybe you have a exhaust leak

VPWAGZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp vactioner wagon
Hey everyone, i have a vp v6 and i have recently slightly changed my exhaust by taking out the last muffler and putting a straight 2.5" pipe on the end out to a tip.

i have a genuine VS CAI on it but ever since i have put the straight pipe on the end when under power and the revs pick up at around 3G you can hear a really loud whistle. it no joke sounds turboed, its that loud and clear.

is this caused by the CAI and can now be heard because of the exhaust change? because u couldnt hear a thing before it was done.

What do you guys think?

Thanks Chris

i have done exactly the same **** as you and my vp wagon does exactly the same thing at 3g it starts whisling my mates love it sounds turbo'd ;)

plus i have freaked heaps of other turbo drivers out with it lol

great fun i thought its because i changed the rear resy to 3.5inch pipe

so i would also like to know what people think it is

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
My car makes the same sound, but it comes from in front of the driver. It comes from the front left of the car, in front of the passenger.

It gets pretty loud too. I've heard it on several VN's and I had a mate change his trans which eradicated the problem, so whether its an issue from the transmission I dont know.

VPWAGZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp vactioner wagon
i hope its not the trans...it seemd to happen instantly after i took off the rear ressie

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec

What do you guys think?

Thanks Chris

Ok I have a question for you, is the tip welded onto the 2.5 inch pipe all the way around or it it possible for air to get in a gap between the pipe and the tip

c_dowlo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Eexcuitive Sedan
Na the tip is completly welded on all round and i worked out there is no exhaust leaks from where the last part of the exhaust joins on throught to the back.

Also when we fitted the CAI we made the bottom snorkel piece connector that goes into the airbox a really tight fit so its not leaking in from there either.

I agree with VPWAGS, you can freak out turbo drivers like crazy with the whistle, an when you drive past kids there all like "ooo sik its turbo"

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
When we put the VS V8 cai on my brothers VP V6 the smaller opening and the sharp edges on that were enough to make quite a good whistle but after I opened it up with some heat gun action and smoothened it all the whistle was gone

VPWAGZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp vactioner wagon
well thats not it either greenfoam...as i have cut up my vs cold air to open it up abit and it still whisles!....i wish there was a way to find out where it comes from! i thought it was just my wagon but there are others that do it!

anymore ideas...remember for ME it only happend after the rear res got taken off

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well my VP whistles too, it was mostly due to the hotdog on the back, it whistles less now that there's straigth pipe there but it still does it, the only thing is that for me it's only at idle