Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the real difference in fuel econony?

CJAff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Acclaim
So I've got a VY with a V6 Ecotec and I want to get the 12mm plenum spacer, 12mm manifold insulator, MACE CAI, and the 82° thermostat sensor. What kind of fuel economy improvement am I likely to see?

I'm not looking to get these purely for the sake of fuel economy improvement, but I just want to get an idea of what to expect in that respect.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
There is so many variables, for eg; you right foot, the type of driving you do on a daily basis etc. I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference with those mods but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong MACE.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
In my VS, 12mm PS an 12mm MI gave me a 1.4L/100 improvement on a mainly highway trip 600k's each way. havent worked it out for just city yet.
Already had the CAi installed never did a comparison for that part. don't have the thermo so no idea on that.

Silver6

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SV6
I'm doing this to my 06 VE SV6 tomorrow (weather permitting) Will let you all know how I go when I do it. Just worried about clearance when I put it all back on :/ Using the instructions from the Gregory manual to pull it apart as its more detailed. Might as well change my plugs whilst I do it.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
In my VS, 12mm PS an 12mm MI gave me a 1.4L/100 improvement on a mainly highway trip 600k's each way. havent worked it out for just city yet.
Already had the CAi installed never did a comparison for that part. don't have the thermo so no idea on that.

That's roughly what I got on my VX with the same mods , but with, high ratio rockers, throttle body ,and tune , I don't think the 82 degree thermostat makes a great deal of difference , very much depends on how you drive , heavy right foot , heavy consumption , drive it sensibly and you'll get good economy , it's not rocket science .