Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whats the right height for my car?

fallen1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden VS Statesman
hey all,

im not not the most mechanicly inclined person so go easy and explain things like im stupid lol

i have ceptors on my 99 vs statesman and i want to lower my car because it looks awkward having it so high..

just wantin to know what the right height would be i dont want to scrape every bump on the road but i also dont wanna have my head in the clouds lol.

if i lower my car will i have to change shockers or anything?

thanks in advance.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
G'day mate

First of all, everyone will give you different advice on what height scrapes, what looks like a rock hopper and everything in between. Depends usually on the type of car you have, the existing loads (ie. sound system, LPG tank etc.)

General rules (and I say 'general' loosely)
- Stick with well known brands. King, Lovells, Pedders are cheaper alternatives, more expensive springs include Bilstien, Eibach..
- Most spring manufaturers use the Low, Super Low, Super Super Low terms, but there is no uniformity of height across the manufacturers (eg. my dad's Pedders 'Low' were lower than my King 'Low')
- Check the manufaturers' website to see what their guide is on how much a spring will lower a car by
- 'Low' springs are approximately equivalent to Holden's FE2 in the sports models, and are not very low at all
- Anything lower than 'Low' and it is advisable to have shortened shocks and struts. They have a shorter stroke, and offer better handling, better comfort and better safety than a standard height shock absorber.

Also it'll be worthwhile noting, having smaller 15" interceptors will make the car appear higher than what it is.

After all that, my personal opinion is Lovells SL front and rear springs, with Monroe GT Gas shortened shocks.

Anything else, feel free to ask

GAMBLR

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Also measure up the distance from the top of the tyre to the top of the wheelarch on the guard. Springs that are designed for better handling+cosmetic improvements, ie: kings super low, lovells sports low etc, will lower the car 10- 30mm depending on brand. Springs that are purely cosmetic will lower 40-60mm if not more. Have a look at the manufacturers websites for more accurate figures. There measurements will also help you see if you need to roll your guards, which tends to be necessary when going very low with significantly wider than factory tyres.