Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the ZB commodore like any issues? What do the owners of ZB think? Pointless thread ruined by one user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
Hi guys just woundering if anyone has had any issues with the ZB commodore and woundering what the owners think of it. There is also that button you will need to push to stop the car from turning off at lights, is it a pain or not.
All comments appreciated.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi guys just woundering if anyone has had any issues with the ZB commodore and woundering what the owners think of it. There is also that button you will need to push to stop the car from turning off at lights, is it a pain or not.
All comments appreciated.

i have had many holdens over the years big and small and the zb is the best one yet.
i sold my vf ssv and got the zb rs v6 variant and i have been happy with it and i have had no issues and while it is no v8 it gets to 50kph in the same time and i use it as a daily/tourer and it fits the bill.

there is a button to disable auto stop infront of the shifter but each time you start the vehicle it will default to on so i made a module to switch it off on vehicle start.
some people dont mind pressing the button each time while others like me just find a way to disable it and forget that function exists lol.

you can also buy a device that plugs into the obd port that disables it too.

checkout this forum too, it is the same vehicle in the us and has more owners posting about it

Last edited:

Chalks1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer
I came from a VF SS Sportwagon & before that had a G6 Turbo. I very much enjoy drving my Calais V Tourer. It doesnt have the grunt of the SS or the turbo, but i can still find enough horses to get me into trouble if I want.

Its got all the bells & whistles.

Im a country driver, so dont really notice the auto engine off, & when I do notice it, its not really a big deal.

Sfitz38

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 ZB Commodore LT
I have recently grabbed a ZB the 2lt Turbo version, and it is the smoothest driving commodore I have driven. I have had VR, VS, VT, VY and VE previously. The FWD is a little different but used to it now, otherwise it has been a nice car, and other models have AWD and 6 cylinders, so there are options in your preference and budget.

I have had an aircon leak trying to solve under warranty for a few months, otherwise no faults with the car. You get used to the button press if you weren't keen on disabling autostartstop permanently.

The 4 cylinder rego is nice for me, but then having to use 95ron fuel adds a little more each fill (I always used 95 or 98 previously anyway)

Around town the VE (3lt v6) had the same fuel economy as this ZB, but highway driving the ZB (4cyl) uses hardly anything! Im sure other owners could chime in about fuel use if that influences your purchasing decision.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I'm pretty happy with my RSV wagon
Although presently best deals for later model (2018+) and low mileage (<20 kkms) cars seem to be the LT sedans ($22k) and RS sedans ($25k)
V6 models and wagons much dearer
Usual caveats apply re. warranty support and parts availablity as compared to Toyota's and Mazda's. But you cant have reasonably fast, reasonably good handling, and Japanese certainty for ZB money wherever you look
ZB is probably nicer to actually drive (power, handling) than most other options in this size/price bracket
Auto stop not a big problem, just spend 2s to turn it off after starting the car
On the flip side being able to leave car locked with engine running and key in your pocket is an advantage if you stop to get some milk or a paper - less wear on starting system

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
Thank you very much guys I appreciate your feed back. I've been looking at the standard ZB for a while they look good once you have a good look at them. I did have a drive of one and it did drive very well,smooth, light and direct. I'm 53 so speed or power is not an issue for me. Being able to auto turn off that button is great I would have to try it first to see if it was annoying but good to know it can be stopped. I guess every car can have some small issue but from experience most can be fixed. Thank again guys if anyone come across any issues big or r small it would be good to know. Cheers

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Small issues:
  • Nowhere to put my sunglasses (I have a sunroof so the roof storage compartment isn't there in my model)
  • The battery in my key (not my wifes as I first thought) went flat
  • The piano black surface on the centre console keeps getting fingerprints all over it
  • The air con could be colder than it is
I love having a modern engine that is really efficient (was showing 7.5L/100km consumption at 110km/h) yet powerful enough when needed. And I get to shut it down when I arrive instead of after 5 minutes of idling. It's comfortable, spacious and has a tech list that is the envy of Euros twice it's price.

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
Small issues:
  • Nowhere to put my sunglasses (I have a sunroof so the roof storage compartment isn't there in my model)
  • The battery in my key (not my wifes as I first thought) went flat
  • The piano black surface on the centre console keeps getting fingerprints all over it
  • The air con could be colder than it is
I love having a modern engine that is really efficient (was showing 7.5L/100km consumption at 110km/h) yet powerful enough when needed. And I get to shut it down when I arrive instead of after 5 minutes of idling. It's comfortable, spacious and has a tech list that is the envy of Euros twice it's price.
Thanks mate I have read about the small issues you mentioned and I could live with them I think, most cars have some little thing, there never perfect especially when there mass produced. When mass produced there parts are cheap and readily available I've heard that there are no doors in Australia for the ZB but there are already some in the wreckers (from normal accidents) so I don't think that would be a problem in the long run. Thanks again.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I have a RSV 3.6 Liftback. I love it. Good/great performance. The engine is really nice and the gearbox generally very nice and smooth. It can get a bit out of step at slow speeds but is very good otherwise. During spirited driving it actually downshifts as you slow down to be ready in the right gear when you go to accelerate.

Mine has a place for sunglasses in the hoodlining just behind the front interior lights. The glovebox is worse than piss poor for size, but there is good storage in the doors..

The 2.0 litre turbo engine is also a really good package.

To give an idea of fuel economy, I've just got home and averaged 90 kph over a distance of 465 km for a fuel burn of 7.4l/100km. The trip included over 10, 50 km urban areas and hilly, windy roads, no motorway driving. Just typical New Zealand highways.

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
Thanks for all the input guys I do appreciate it. After doing a lot of reading/research and being a Holden man myself and also experiencing issues over the years with different Holdens and watching Holden go down hill I've started looking at other makes. I was thinking of getting a VF ute or a ZB sedan I liked the VF more but I noticed that Holden never gave the VF the extra things other cars have like lane keep etc even the newer VF ss and the later sandman missed out on the extras I find that really cheap of Holden I can't understand why they held back except to save money, that didn't help anyone especially Holden and for that we missed out and they lost sales for skimping on these little things. I was looking at the ZB because it was newer and had most of the extras but with that came the stop at the lights to save fuel button, dull head lights that is a pain, multiple issues and a bonnet that jumps up at the back near the windscreen when you hit something head on. So many things to replace, disable or deal with. I think it's time I let Holden go and went with a car that has better build quality, better styling in some cases, better reliability, less issues, better follow up service as Holden dealers will not be here in a few years that is certain. There are many cars out there now that offer all the above giving better value for money some even 7 year warranties. I remember when Toyota first hit our markets with better smaller reliable motors that used less fuel. It didn't take long for people to start buying them and as time went on and Toyota proved their worth more and more people bought them. Today we have many makes to choose from so I think I'll keep researching and find a new make with better value, maybe a Kia stinger. Thanks again guys and enjoy your Holden's.

Status
Not open for further replies.