Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats this called Please??? VP heater control or relay or solanoind ???

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6 Berlina & 5LT VP International
HI guys & gals
My VP calais heater has crapped out & Ive chased the problem to this part but dont know what its called to get a new one.
Thanks guys & gals

Attachments

• 5764_10200125786892555_1497748527_n.jpg
    5764_10200125786892555_1497748527_n.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 285

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its the bit from under the plastic cover just under the windscreen.
You have to remove the wiper arms & the large plastic cover then a small cover held in by 2 screws to get to it
Thanks again

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I'd say the fan resistor pack/speed control.

What are the symptoms you have to blame this?
No low speed fan but works on top speed?

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
No fan at all, heater control not lighting up or displaying anything even after swaping it out with a known working one. I did hear a pop when pulling out centre console to fix window switch wires & cig lighter issues but all fuses are fine so im thinking its the bit in the pic, But open to any suggestions

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
I'd say swapping that out for a working one won't fix your problem. Its called a fan speed resistor. There are two types - one for climate models and one for models without climate.

There is a how - to on this site to fix your broken one for around $8 and some spare time.

As for the unit not turning on, I'd be checking every fuse I could find with a multimeter.

EDIT: you mention you pulled the console apart, any chance you disconnected the climate unit when you did this? Perhaps you missed a plug on the back of it to put back in?

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its the climate control type, Ive had half the dash out & I think Ive plugged everything back in & no luck.
But for now Ill be waiting till my new switches arrive {THANKS STOCKIES}& do the hole lot in one shot & hopefully Ill have a working washer squirter to
I know the left switch block is roo ted as its lights up when it feels like it & Ive checked the plugs are in correctly, so Ill just wait for the new ones & check all the wires are good as well as fuses then see whats what
In the mean time Ill try to find the how to stockies has mentioned

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok new question
Ive just installed the fan speed resistor & when it earths out on the car body it runs the fan but Ive got no control over it, I should say that when the fsr is screwed in place its dosent seem to be earthed so the fan isnt running & I still have nothing at the digital climate control
Im currently checking all the fuses & relays but Im not sure about this earthing issue
Any ideas guys & gals????

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
I should add the aircon is not connected due to gilmer drive.
Should I plug the compressor in ???

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
What speedo is this ?? lvl 1 2 or 3 ??

Hey guys this is my speedo from the VP calais inter, it looks like someone has tampered with it so I need to know what it is so I can replace it

Attachments

• speedo sticker.jpg
    speedo sticker.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 179
  • speedo front.jpg
    speedo front.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 213
  • speedo 2.jpg
    speedo 2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 168

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I can't assist with the instruments but there is a self test procedure for the climate control which I have posted previously but it does require the CC to have a display screen up.

With the manually controlled ventilation at least the highest fan speed (4) is separate from the fan speed resistor (that's only for the lower three speeds). The CC version may be the same.

If you've got nothing from the CC module (the bit you can see) that is a likely suspect. Are you sure the replacement is OK? Could there be a fault that has killed both CC modules? It's not always a good idea to just plug in a replacement part if you are not sure why the original part failed. Maybe go back to what you were removing when you heard the pop.

The A/C compressor disconnected will just disable the A/C, nothing more (unless the wire is floating and touching somewhere but it does go through a relay not the CC module directly).