Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what's this for?

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I've been wondering for a while what the little antenna is for on the rear windscreen of my statesman. it's stuck to the back windscreen and in the same place on the inside there is a small box with a cable that runs back behind the roof liner to only god knows where. its not connected to the antenna in any way through the glass, just stuck there.

I was thinking it could be for the aftermarket bluetooth system that my car has or the car's phone port? (I know statesman comes with a phone port but not too sure about the commodore) but I've started noticing a few vy/vz commodores getting around with them, or at least with the plate but missing the antenna. more specifically the non povo spec commodores. or is it radio related?

reason I ask is that I want to take the external antenna off. and if I do, will it affect the bluetooth/phone/radio in a bad way?

null_zps70b1c3e2.jpg

null_zpsda1c7adc.jpg

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah that's what I was thinking as it's got a aftermarket kit in it. I was just wondering as there is also a square imprinted in the glass as you can see so it obviously needs to line up in that position on the glass for some reason.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Ahh, didnt notice the cutout.
Does your car have the Holden Assist buttons on the mirror? Might be something to do with that.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Yeh mate, my Clubsport has this too. no wires or aerial but. just the inside part. Don't know what it could bei

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
External, amplified, antenna extension. Or something like that. Phone, radio.
Any hoo, what ever it's for,(most likely phone) it just boosts the reception. Especially in country areas.

The cut out on the shade tint is there as to not obstruct the signal from the the pre amp on the inside of the glass to the antenna on the outside,
as there is no physical connection between the two and they have to be as close as possible to each other.
In other words, the antenna on the outside, is a wireless extension of the box on the inside.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
The crusty old wired nokia hands free kit cradle with inductive antenna coupler that was in my car when i purchased it was the first thing i removed, including the external antenna which was identical to this one.

Fortunately, I had on hand a spare nokia bluetooth car kit which i plugged directly into the existing speaker, mic and electrical connection and it works with any bluetooth compatible phone. Easy upgrade for anyone with an old nokia car kit.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I removed the antenna the other day and there has been no change to the radio reception and the Bluetooth kit still works as it should. I'm thinking it was probably for the luxury models and upper spec commodores that has a phone connection.

Boothy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Wagon, VY Commodore
It is an aftermarket hands free phone kit.