Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's this noise? Lifter tick?

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
Hi fellas.

I have a 2012 SSV UTE with 76ks on it.

Its recently started making a strange ticking noise. Sound is very obvious when your head is down near the wheels and not as obvious when in engine bay. Possibly due to the injector noise being so loud.

Took it to Holden who advised me to tighten header bolts. Also said it could be lifter tick. I tightened bolts and nothing changed.

Took it to Wollongong automotive services and they said it's lifter tick. Quoted 3500 for new stock lifters cam etc
Or 5000 for performance cam intake and tune.

It has an exhaust on it but I don't know too much about it as it came with the car.

It hasn't lost any power that I've noticed.

I've changed oil today to penrite 5w-30 full synthetic. The noise now appears to have changed sides to the drivers side. That's right. CHANGED SIDES. Previous to that it was most obvious on the passenger side.

It also appears quieter than before the oil change. But is there still. Again, only really obvious when you're r listening down near the wheels. Driver side specifically. At the moment anyway Haha.

Booked in to an exhaust shop on Monday for pressure test.

Any ideas? Lifter tick? Standard engine noise? Exhaust manifold leak? I've reached the end of my mechanical knowledge and don't wanna spend 3500-5000 just yet.

Here are some videos of the noise. First video before oil change. Second video after.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
When i had my VY SS i kept ready about how good Penrite was so i tried with my next oil change. Straight away i had a lifter tick on the drivers side which could be heard through the extractors. When back to recommended oil and almost immediately the tick went away. Not putting **** on Penrite either, i still use Penrite in my VE.
Try going back to recommended oil before trying anything else.

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
It had castrol in it from the dealer, I've put penrite in it for the first time.

It seems quieter than it was with the castrol

But again the sound appears to have migrated from the passengers side to the drivers side. Only happens when engine is warm too.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I take it you don't run flex fuel, and out of factory declared warranty so having been there done that I'm going to call it safe as. Don't panic, those noises are normal with that engine. To be sure I suggest investing in a good OBD dongle like Kiwi 3 and log your oil pressure.
The cheapest way to eliminate most noise is to run high zinc 10w40 like Penrite 10 Tenths. It most certainly is not a worn cam face / roller issue at those km. Mine started about 140k km and switching to above extended life without worry to 175k km when I chose to overhaul stuff. Same year model same engine I am at 285k km and looking forward to the next 250k km.
The best way to address the issue is 5w40 and install an oil accumulator, for less than a grand this device ensures pressurised pre-oiling and generally better life through optimal lubrication.

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
i'll have to do some googling on oil accumulators.

I was hesitant changing the oil from spec, the damn oil filler cap even stipulates 5w-30

you really think a different oil would be my answer? i've just spent $100 on oil today haha.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I had a noise on one side that sounded something like that. I was convinced it was a lifter. Holden was convinced it was my exhaust magnifying sound. Independent mech found the problem to be a slightly loose spark plug. Ticking noise disappeared immediately.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yes it's the heat mate. Plus your hydraulic lifters are not going to explode or turn or seize... just make a bit of a noise when operating with less than optimum fill pressure is all.
In another 100k km or so you may hear a chirping sound, that's your cue to action.

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
excellent. i will check spark plugs.

did your noise happen cold or hot?

this noise increases with revs. would that happen with spark plugs?

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
Yes it's the heat mate. Plus your hydraulic lifters are not going to explode or turn or seize... just make a bit of a noise when operating with less than optimum fill pressure is all.
In another 100k km or so you may hear a chirping sound, that's your cue to action.

chirping like a belt noise kind of?