Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's up with my indicators?

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Every now and then my indicators stick or flash very slowly I'm not sure what the deal is but it's happening a lot lately.

I have changed every relay in the car for new one's about a month ago but that didn't seem to do anything.

I don't have a sticky indicator when the car is locked with my remote it just sticks when I use my turn signal. The hazard lights seem ok when I have this problem

What could be the issue?

I upgraded my headlights to the SS one's with the projectors and used both H9 globes doing the H9 mod but I'm not sure if that's causing the issue.

MaRtYz

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Calais Sports Automatic
I had this happen to me. The relay in question is soldered in the bcm. It can be replaced, but at your own risk otherwise you'll be looking at a new bcm.
I replaced mine with the relay (part number HFKM-012-SHST or Zettler AZ976-1U-12DET) bought from ebay and using the guide below.

You'll need solder, soldering iron, soldering wick and or solder sucker.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...ticky-indicator-in-a-vz-commodore-bcm.154072/

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I thought the BCM issue was only related to the lock remote and not the indicator when you use the signal.

I know some people had issues when they use the remote to lock the cars and the indicators would stick or flash left and right

MaRtYz

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Calais Sports Automatic
That’s what I thought when it was happening to me. I tried a different flasher unit relay and didn’t help. It must be all connected through the relay in the bcm as well. After replacing the one in the bcm, it was as good as new.

At first mine was getting stuck only with the indicator or hazards. It progressively got worse and started doing it when I locked and unlocked the car. It got to a point where it took me several minutes to get the indicator to stop sticking when locking my car.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I'll change that as well. Thank you for taking the time out to reply and help out. Once I get it done I'll update the post

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
It's a strange one, as I thought that the BCM relay only did the flash for the lock/unlock? I'll have to have a look at the wiring diagrams. I know that if you remove the relay out of the BCM, the turn indicators will still work, but the lock/unlock and hazards stop working. Interesting to find out if that replacing the BCM relay fixes your problem.

I take it you have tried a couple of flasher relays, and you haven't got any LED's in the lights replacing the globes?

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I just want to update this post.

I solved the issue of my indicators sticking and working very slowly. I had initially changed the flasher relay with a new one but it would work a couple of days then stop. I pulled my headlights off and took all the globes out then sprayed the plugs with contact cleaner.

This did nothing. I watched a video on YouTube and saw the guy opening the flasher relay and cleaning it up. I did this and although the flasher relay was new I blew some compressed air and sprayed contact cleaner. I put it together and the signal has been working for the past week. It wasn't a BCM relay issue at all.