Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Alignment

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
Just want some opinion on this one - or if someone has some expert insider knowledge please come forward...

Clocked over 10000ks in the new car and as i have always done i took her in for a wheel alignment, balance, rotation - you know - the usual.

This is something i have done with my previous cars - get something like this every 10000ks and to be honest i have gotten some impressive miles out of my rubber.

I was informed today by a collegue that i am a bloody idiot. He recons that the newer cars have single mount points and rigid joints blah blah blah, and hence do not need wheel alignments because these things can't change. He recons all i need to do is the occassional wheel rotation. He went on to tell me how places like Bob jane will happily take my money and perform absolutly nothing.

I'm a driver, not a mechanic - i know sweetFA about this stuff. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Wheel alignments are still required more often if lots of rough/unformed road driving is done.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Your mate's an ignorant fool. The VE suspension has more adjustment than any Commodore before it.

I get a 4 wheel alignment and re-balance done every 5,000km. What's $90?

Just go to a reputable place (not Bob Jane, Quick Fit etc), make sure they have a relatively new laser wheel aligner and get the before and after print out. Take it to your mate and prove him wrong.

Personal preference here, but I added about a degree of negative camber to the stock specs and it handles SO much better.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Your mate's an ignorant fool. The VE suspension has more adjustment than any Commodore before it.

I get a 4 wheel alignment and re-balance done every 5,000km. What's $90?

Just go to a reputable place (not Bob Jane, Quick Fit etc), make sure they have a relatively new laser wheel aligner and get the before and after print out. Take it to your mate and prove him wrong.

Personal preference here, but I added about a degree of negative camber to the stock specs and it handles SO much better.

Positive rep for that 100% correct! being a wheel aligner i lol'd at the OP's mate ahahaha

EDIT: OP's mate is right about something, Bob Jane probs wont do **** and still charge you.

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
Thanks guys - appreciate it...

Why is everyone so against Bob Jane - I have had some terrific service from these guys over the years, and they have been quite happy to answer my stupid questions and I have got better deals from them then some of the other chains and local guys too.

I have also met Bob Jane himself and he seemed like a nice bloke.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
im only against bob jane cos i used to work there, some of the stuff we dodged up would boggle your mind.

mmrdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 series 3 Monaro & VF V8 Calais V Wagon
My previous VX series 2 never had a wheel alignment done. I got 140K out of the original RE92 tyres. I was probably very lucky with the car. My current VE has 15K currently, but still no wheel alignment. Tyres are wearing evenly. Again, I'm probably lucky so far!

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
My previous VX series 2 never had a wheel alignment done. I got 140K out of the original RE92 tyres. I was probably very lucky with the car. My current VE has 15K currently, but still no wheel alignment. Tyres are wearing evenly. Again, I'm probably lucky so far!

you are lucky by the sounds of things, we have VE's coming around 15k with there back tyres scrubbed out completely just check your inside edges to make sure they are ok.

mmrdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 series 3 Monaro & VF V8 Calais V Wagon
you are lucky by the sounds of things, we have VE's coming around 15k with there back tyres scrubbed out completely just check your inside edges to make sure they are ok.

Inside edges on my car are fine.:thumbsup: I have heard of the same thing regarding rear tyres scrubbed out at 15K, but mainly on V8 versions (probably driven hard!).:whistling