Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wheel balancing and road force test

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Within the warranty booklet page 4 has section which states:

Holden Warranty certificate
Statutory rights

Our goods come with a guarantee that cannot be excluded under Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonable foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure

Holden Warranty exclusions
Maintenance items

Your Holden Warranty doesn not extend to services such as brake adjustment, brake replacement, repalcement of filters, wipr rubbers, etc., which are required as part of normal vehicle maintenance. Refere to maintenance Schedule further on in this booklet.

Batteries and Bulbs
Batteries and bulbs are warranted for 12 months under the Holden warranty.
Misuse
This Warranty does not cover damage caused by:
{a bunch of conditions}

Holden Warranty questions and answers
{a bunch of questions and answers worth reading}

Then there is a list of items under the maintenanc schedule which is worth understanding.

Just to add to the mix, tires are considered as 'consumables'....
Yes, tires are consumable items but that does not mean all issues are automatically related to normal wear and tear. Tires can still have faults and as a good sold within Australia are covered under ACL.

And they aren't covered by warranty either
Holden makes no specific mention of tires as being excluded from the Holden Warranty but it would be silly not to consider them a maintenance item and hence not covered for normal wear and tear.

However, if you look at Holdens questions and answers, specifically Q 5., it lists wheel balancing as not covered after 3000km. So Holden does cover more items than many will assume they do. Don't simply assume things are not covered.

But the real point is not what Holden defines as covered or not covered within its Holden Warranty as specified in it's booklet but whether any reasonable consumer would see an issue as being due to a faulty product considering ACL (which Holden clearly spells out that you have guarantees that cannot be excluded under ACL).

So all you need to answer in your own mind is whether the vibtarion you feel after many wheel balances is normal and whether an average Joe would also feel such vibrations and think something was wrond with the car. If the answers are YES, then you have a valid ACL claim you can put to the dealer and/or Holden under your ACL rights in law (and bugger what Holdens docs say).

But if you want to argue against yourself and to your detriment, feel free.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
But if you want to argue against yourself and to your detriment, feel free.

And if you want things 10 times more complicated that what is absolutely necessary, take your advise

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Just an update
Tyres have been sent to Bridgestone head office in Sydney.
It's been 2 week's and still no word.
Bridgestone have been great and it's likely They will replace the tyres once they have tested them and find the problem after I told them how disappointed I was with the tyres and the vibration they cause.
I'll let you know once I hear back

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Just an update
Tyres have been sent to Bridgestone head office in Sydney.
It's been 2 week's and still no word.
Bridgestone have been great and it's likely They will replace the tyres once they have tested them and find the problem after I told them how disappointed I was with the tyres and the vibration they cause.
I'll let you know once I hear back

So what are you rolling around on at the moment ?

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
So what are you rolling around on at the moment ?
A borrowed car from my folks which is actually my old vx Berlina

I called bridgestone yesterday arvo for an update. The person looking after me is on leave until Monday. I left a message for him to give me a call wh
en he gets back.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bridgestone called back today and could not find fault with the tyres and the tyres are within their spec. They also acknowledged the road force test result they got were the same as the results I got. So at least the results were consistent.
So, as the tyres are within Bridgestone limits, there will be no replacement.

I let them know it will be the last set of Bridgestone tyres this family will be rolling on

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Bridgestone called back today and could not find fault with the tyres and the tyres are within their spec. They also acknowledged the road force test result they got were the same as the results I got. So at least the results were consistent.
So, as the tyres are within Bridgestone limits, there will be no replacement.

I let them know it will be the last set of Bridgestone tyres this family will be rolling on

Post the details of the tyres too (model, size, even a picture of the details of the tyres), so we all know which types can be troublesome even though they’re in the manufacturer’s specification.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have a read of the workshop manual as there is a detailed section how such issues are diagnosed from Holden’s perspective. It may give you some insight how else to tackle the issue.

When I have a little more time, i’ll post a specific link to the workshop manual and a reference where within the manual you can find the relevant section. If any5hing, its an interesting read.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh, and I should add I’m sorry that the avenue you took didn’t work out. Maybe not all is lost.

Keep in mind just because the tyre manufacturer says the tyre vibrations are within their margins, it doesn’t mean the average punter would think such vibrations are also ok. Many an average punter may feel there is a defect somewhere in the vehicle (which is the product you bought after all, you didn’t buy the tyres separately).

Also, the vehicle maker may have a differing view on the overall quality of their product as a whole, than the component tyre supplier. This may be due to the vehicle maker seeing their product living higher up the market sector (their product is the whole car not a tyre). As such they may have already costed some warranty for out of spec tyres... who knows...

I still feel that knowing your statutory warranty rights and going to the vehicle seller is often a better approach. Yeah, I know others have a differing view but in this case it seems the horse bit you rather than getting it straight :oops: No disrespect meant :)

Hopefully you still have the energy to deal with this, otherwise just buy a new set of pirellies or anything other than Bridgestone and be done with it.