Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Balancing Weights

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Wondering if anyone is in the know about whether weights are always required when new tyres are fitted to rims.
I've had 4 new tyres fitted to me ute rims that I took to the tyre business off the car and when I went to fit them I noticed 2 of the rims had no weights.
Today I've taken the ute for a drive and theirs no shakes and all seems fine so wondering does this happen often, no weights on rims.
The wheel setup is 16'' x 6.5'' radial tubeless on alloy rims.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Some times you will get a good tyre out of the pile that won't need weights added when the wheel and tyre is balanced.
You got lucky and the best pick of the bunch with those two.

Another thing that could have happened is, when the tyres were mounted to your rims, the tyres "heavy" point canceled out the rims "heavy" point.

It does happen, so if no shakes or wobbles you got lucky.

So to answer your question, wieghts are NOT ALWAYS necessary if they balance up 0---0

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
They are probably the flat sticky weights that will be on the inside of your wheels' barrel.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
They are probably the flat sticky weights that will be on the inside of your wheels' barrel.
Before fitting the rims I degreased and scrubbed each rim (none shinny areas) with a Scotch Bite pad and no weights found on those two.
Feel better now knowing the truth.

thanks
(1) Scrubbed Rim b.JPG

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It is a rarity that a wheel/tyre assembley doesn't need wheel weights....It seems like you have struck that rarity, which is brilliant