Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel help for a VH

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
i read the section 8 on the vic roads website and it didnt really help me at all, plus it is out dated buy almost 8 years and im sure the laws have changed since then.

That PDF is the current file listed on the Vic Roads web site so I would say it is still current. I think your main stumbling block would be the section that says you can't increase the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre combination by any more than 15mm. I would imagine going from 14/15" to 20" even with a super low profile tyre you would still be more than the 15mm max.
Insurance may be an issue as well.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
im pretty sure you can only go a plus 2 fitment which means 17'' legally, as for insurance youve got no chance the biggest wheel on a vr (i know yours is a vh) was 17x7 with irs 17x8 live axle for insurance purposes if you want to go 20s legally you will need an engineers certificate. the rules wouldnt have changed just because rims have got bigger over the years.

Hanky420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
ill go down to the local police station and ill get a definate answer

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
why would you need to? you have a definate answer.

its simple really. to be legal you need to have a working speedo, to have a working speedo the rolling diameter of your tyres/wheels needs to be correct. to get a 20 inch wheel to have the correct rolling diameter you will need to use a roll of electrical tape instead of a tyre.

so there is your answer.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
im pretty sure you can only go a plus 2 fitment which means 17'' legally, as for insurance youve got no chance the biggest wheel on a vr (i know yours is a vh) was 17x7 with irs 17x8 live axle for insurance purposes if you want to go 20s legally you will need an engineers certificate. the rules wouldnt have changed just because rims have got bigger over the years.

There is not, nor has there ever been a 2" bigger rule. Its was generally a "rule of thumb" but now tyres have become available with lower profiles thats pretty much useless.

You can only legally go 50mm/2" wider than the stock rims with certification.

why would you need to? you have a definate answer.

its simple really. to be legal you need to have a working speedo, to have a working speedo the rolling diameter of your tyres/wheels needs to be correct. to get a 20 inch wheel to have the correct rolling diameter you will need to use a roll of electrical tape instead of a tyre.

so there is your answer.

Again with the haters! :p

What size is the stock tyre size on the tyre placard, the biggest profile/width?

With a stock tyre of 225/60/15 I can (and do) legally have a 225/35/20 tyre fitted, there's numerous tyre/rim size calculators online that calculate and compare different tyre/rim combo's.

I have 5 different sheets printed out that I keep in the glovebox, (along with engineers certs/blue slips etc..) stating that the tyre IS within the "15mm +/-" rule. Results vary, but are within 5mm of each other. With the biggest measurement being 14.7mm bigger than standard.

The 15mm +/- is directly relating to "Overall Diameter" from the top of the tyre/rim/bottom of tyre to the ground.
Not "Rolling Diameter"

Heres one link to a tyre Calculator.

Tyre Size Calculator @ ExplorOz Articles

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
the vic roads pdf says the replacement rim must not be more than 25mm wider than the widest wheel used by the manufacturer on that model and no more than 15mm difference in diameter used by the manufacturer on that particular model. so yes ZUESSY i was wrong there is no +2 like i thought it is any rims as long as you can get the wheel tyre combo within these guidelines.

Last edited:

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
the vic roads pdf says the replacement rim must not be more than 25mm wider than the widest wheel used by the manufacturer on that model and no more than 15mm difference in diameter used by the manufacturer on that particular model. so yes ZUESSY i was wrong there is no +2 like i thought, but i still think youd be hard pressed to have a 5'' bigger rim and keep it under 15mm difference in rolling diameter.

For some reason I can't read PDF's. Its annoying.

So which does it state. That you can go 15mm +/- than the overall diameter, or 15mm +/- of the rolling diameter? Theres a BIG difference.

Is that 25mm uncertified - as in, not requiring an engineers certificate? Can you go wider with an engineers certificate? Is that "WHEEL TRACK" or "RIM WIDTH"?

Reason I stated the 50mm is thats what it states in VSI 09 (which is relating to NSW.) I assumed that they had made ALL the laws regarding wheels/tyres the same accross the board. Not just some of them.

It just seems that everyones immediate response to bigger than standard rims is "its illegal..."

They set safe guidelines that the government set. I don't make them up. The limits are there, why not use all the available options.

They say you can go upto 15mm bigger or smaller of the overall diameter, then you can go upto 15mm bigger or smaller. Not 10mm, or 5mm, 15!!!

Last edited:

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
25 mm wider uncertified ,15mm + / - overall diameter eg height from ground to top of rim from what i understand in victoria, i tried to edit my post to reflect this immediatley after posting it but my net decided to play up,no im not fussed whos right or wrong but i did realise i was wrong in my original post .

Bastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
I've got 19"s on my VK and I didn't have to roll the guards or anything. TBH it seems to be a smoother ride than when I had my old 17" rims. I've had mine on for over 12 months and have been pulled over by the cops for breatho etc but never had a mention on my rims. Mind you I live an hour from Melbourne so I don't think the coppers are quite as psycho. Mine only scrub if I have two adults in the back.

20" I think you'll definately need to roll the guards but.