Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wheel moving when braking

jessii

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
hi does anyone have idea what the issue is with my vy
if so is it an expensive fix?
when i lift off the brake from stationary my front wheel jumps/ moves forward and makes a clunk noise

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
hi does anyone have idea what the issue is with my vy
if so is it an expensive fix?
when i lift off the brake from stationary my front wheel jumps/ moves forward and makes a clunk noise

Radius rod bushes (sometimes called caster rod bushes). These are the two large bushes that are attached to the chassis. The OEM ones are fluid filled and develop leaks and excessive movement. The OEM bushes are fairly pricy. Aftermarket ones (without fluid) are cheaper. They’re pretty easy to replace (relatively to other suspension parts).

jessii

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
Radius rod bushes (sometimes called caster rod bushes). These are the two large bushes that are attached to the chassis. The OEM ones are fluid filled and develop leaks and excessive movement. The OEM bushes are fairly pricy. Aftermarket ones (without fluid) are cheaper. They’re pretty easy to replace (relatively to other suspension parts).
is it unsafe to drive until i can fix it or will it be fine to drive like normal?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
is it unsafe to drive until i can fix it or will it be fine to drive like normal?

Hard to be totally sure from a distance (i.e. forum conversation) but they are a very common failure item and I’d suspect that there are a lot of Commodores being driven around everyday without the driver being aware that there is an issue.

I suspect that it’d be fine (if it’s only those bushes that have failed).

BTW good pick up, and good observational skills. It usually takes two people to be able to spot the movement of the wheel within the wheel arch under braking, and even then the observer usually needs know what to look for.

Reactions: Lex

jessii

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
Hard to be totally sure from a distance (i.e. forum conversation) but they are a very common failure item and I’d suspect that there are a lot of Commodores being driven around everyday without the driver being aware that there is an issue.

BTW good pick up, and good observational skills. It usually takes two people to be able to spot the movement of the wheel within the wheel arch under braking, and even then the observer usually needs know what to look

and yeah i only bought the car a week ago n i could tell the noise was unusual so had a look around

BTW good pick up, and good observational skills. It usually takes two people to be able to spot the movement of the wheel within the wheel arch under braking, and even then the observer usually needs know what to look for.
yeah i got only the car recently but could tell the noise was unusual so had a look around. appreciate your help thank you :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
1694681169288.png

This is what will be stuffed.

They are located in the front of the cross member

The picture attached also has the rear bushes, which is adviseable to replace at the same time

They're not fluid filled....They are rubber and yes fail over time

Take 1/2 hour to replace but expect to be charged an hours labour

Will need an alignment afterwards...

Expect to be charged about $300 supply and fit for these....

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The only issue if you keep driving it in that state,
You will scrub your tyres out, then you will be up for 2 new tyres.

I have a set of front bushes for a VY I am going sell,
as I replaced mine with SuperPro,
Not that I had to,
I just wanted too.
So the ones I removed were 3 months old, and in good condition to refit.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
View attachment 257369

This is what will be stuffed.

They are located in the front of the cross member

The picture attached also has the rear bushes, which is adviseable to replace at the same time

They're not fluid filled....They are rubber and yes fail over time

Take 1/2 hour to replace but expect to be charged an hours labour

Will need an alignment afterwards...

Expect to be charged about $300 supply and fit for these....

OEM are hydraulic and are known to leak. The ‘fluid’ is water so it is very difficult to determine if the bush still has it’s fluid or not purely by visual inspection.

Some info here - https://www.nolathane.com.au/bulletins/Update 0503.pdf

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY