Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Nut Sheared

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Does any one have a method to removing sheared wheel nuts? I've tried the old towel trick but that didnt seem to work. Rattle gun wont work. Tried a size small socket still no good. Cant use an angle grinder either because the nuts sit deep in the wheel itself.

I had this wheel off the other week but when rattle gunning it back on it must have shaved away at the shape of 2 of the nuts. Now I just cant grip the nuts properly (no homo).

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Try drilling down through the nut on both sides immediately adjacent to the thread then using a slender sharp chisel to split the nut. If they are standard wheel nuts, they should only be mild steel and drill easily.

It might cost you a stud but they are pretty simple to replace.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Try drilling down through the nut on both sides immediately adjacent to the thread then using a slender sharp chisel to split the nut. If they are standard wheel nuts, they should only be mild steel and drill easily.

It might cost you a stud but they are pretty simple to replace.

Sounds do-able. Ill see if anyone else has any other idea's first. Cheers!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I had this wheel off the other week but when rattle gunning it back on it must have shaved away at the shape of 2 of the nuts.

I know it's a bit late now and I'm not having a go at you or anything, but I've read a fair few times on here about people going to tyre shops and rattle gunning them up so tight they can't be undone at home with a crossbar.

Something to think about, is that if you were on the side of the road with a flat tyre, would you be able to get it off with hand tools?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Try to get hold of a Metrinch socket. They look like those damaged nut mover things internally so they drive on the flat part of the nut instead of the points.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Try to get hold of a Metrinch socket. They look like those damaged nut mover things internally so they drive on the flat part of the nut instead of the points.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
You could try bashing a slightly smaller socket onto it.
Weld another nut on top of the rounded one.
Or this......10PCE Damaged Fastner Bolt NUT Remover Free Postage | eBay

Ordered a set of these. Hopefully they get the job done! Thanks mate.

They should do the job, cheers mate!

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
I know it's a bit late now and I'm not having a go at you or anything, but I've read a fair few times on here about people going to tyre shops and rattle gunning them up so tight they can't be undone at home with a crossbar.

Something to think about, is that if you were on the side of the road with a flat tyre, would you be able to get it off with hand tools?

All good mate. I dont think its because i rattle gunned it on too tight, just too many times haha. I was able to get the other 3 off easy as normal, but the other two have been shaved away and rounded, probably because ive hit them with the rattle gun about 5 times in the past week alone lol.

Cheers!

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Alloy wheel? It depends on how much space around the nut you have to work in and how deep the nut is in the wheel but I have undone a nut like that using a cold chisel and hammer to turn the nut on the stud. It's easy to damage the wheel so a few layers of masking tape on the wheel and on the chisel would be wise. Maybe a cloth held on the wheel also.