Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel nuts to suit Interceptor wheels + centre caps

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Hi all.

Stupid question probably but what wheel nuts do i need to allow me to fit centrecaps to my inteceptors?
I have just the standard small steel wheel nuts and they don't look like they are going to work. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction!

Thanks!

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
When I had the interceptor centre caps I had to take the nuts off and put the cap on because the nuts actually hold the centre caps on.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
What style nut do i need?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi all.

I have just the standard small steel wheel nuts and they don't look like they are going to work.

Thanks!

These will work...The cap is pushed into place by the hex in the nut....Barring these, use a nut, which is enclosed at the top, with a 60 degree taper at the base....That's the original style used...But the same principal applies....the cap is held by the hex of the nut

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Like this?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20X-CHR...901500?hash=item3f8a57113c:g:KI0AAOSwY~lZ8yfp

The 3 little fingers on the cap look like they will be broken off if the current nut is used as the taper is 100% in the hole of the wheel

The taper doesn't hold the cap...The hex of the nut does....If you have the plastic caps, you actually notice them flex outwards and inwards, depending on whether you are removing or putting the cap on and then you will understand how the hex holds the cap..

Oh and you could use those nuts as well....But the same principal applies on how the cap is held in place

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Thanks for that. Didn't want to risk breaking anything.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hex nuts wont work on the steel VB caps and will break the cheap plastic caps tabs..the acorn nuts should be fine ..only about 10% of the taper holds the wheel on the rest should prevent the caps from moving...Im talking about the non OM plastic caps, oh whilst talking about the ebay cheapies, if you have the chrome plastic ones they peel/flake with in a year.....

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I’m not sure if it is relevant or not, but on the VL, the interceptor nuts required a bigger wheel brace as the outside diameter of the nuts were bigger than standard. I think the stand nuts used a 19mm wheel brace and the interceptors used a 21mm wheel brace.

If you are changing the wheel nuts, don’t forget to check if the wheel brace in the boot still fits.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I just got the $50 repro caps. Not paying $140 plus post for genuines.