Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel offsets and stud patterns

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Hi there, a very basic question, but still something i'd like explained is wheel offsets and stud patterns. What exactly are they/do they mean? I'm in the market for a set of new mags and would like to be able to tell what will and won't fit myself rather than "checking with the seller" each time.

Also, when i've seen mag wheels and tyres i often see three sets of measurements, what do these represent?

The vehicle is a VS, so if anybody knows the specifics for this model that would also be much appreciated. Cheers, Bryce.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
stud patterns decide whether the wheel will fit on the wheel hub, all commodores excluding ve, use a 5 bolt 120 pcd stud pattern. i cant remember how the pcd works, it sdistance between 2 studs or something.

offset is how far off the center of the wheel where it bolts to the hub, thats all i know, it will make the wheel sit out further or in further.

tyres have 3 main things on them, width, profile and rim size.

a 235/45r17 tyre, is 235mm wide, has a 45 profile which i think is 45% of the width, and fits 17" wheels.

i "think" all that is correct, but may be wrong.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
ok excellent thankyou for that information, just what i was after. Anybody that can fully verify/elaborate any further would also be appreciated. anybody know what pcd stands for? Cheers, Bryce.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
pitch circle diameter, google rocks

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ive got a question,

eg
theres two commos sitting next to each other, 1 has 17 inch rim which is lowered 2 inches and the other sits on 15 inch rims thats at normal ride height,

does that mean that both cars have the same ride height? or is there a little more to it? such as tyre profiles etc

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
When you get larger rims, you get smaller profile tyres.

The overall diameter of the rim+tyre does no change. So whether I have the original 14" rims a VN has, the 16" rims I have now or the 19" rims I want, it will make no difference what so ever.

Jimboss

Reaction score
ive got a question,

eg
theres two commos sitting next to each other, 1 has 17 inch rim which is lowered 2 inches and the other sits on 15 inch rims thats at normal ride height,

does that mean that both cars have the same ride height? or is there a little more to it? such as tyre profiles etc

The lowered car has a lower ride height, my understanding is that the ride height is how high the car is off the ground. So all those 'fully sick' people with cut springs with have a much lower ride height than and old grandpa in a stock car.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
When you get larger rims, you get smaller profile tyres.

The overall diameter of the rim+tyre does no change. So whether I have the original 14" rims a VN has, the 16" rims I have now or the 19" rims I want, it will make no difference what so ever.

thanks for that, i kindof thought that just wasnt sure