Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Problem

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
i was getting a rim swapped over last night and one of the nuts was cross threaded and ended upi snapping off si im left with only 4 nuts holding the wheel on. how big a problem is ithis i know the cops will sticker me if they see it. my question is this how easy is it to put another one on or is it best left to a professional? any help would be great

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
well i would see it as a problem.. but seein as u still have 4 not life threating and cops would sticker ya 4 a dirty ashtray if they dont like u.. so yeah... 1 way 2 fix is a new hub.. pros can punch the broken stud out and replace it. there might b away 4 u 2 do it..

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
i dunno on a vt but ive done it a few times on other cars and its pretty easy, (the wheel studs are just like a special bolt) buy a new one of same size and thread, bash the old one out, use a punch if necesary put the other one in from the back and use a wheelnut to tighten without a wheel on, use washers if needed make sure its in all the way then undo the nut and put your wheel back on... done! :thumbsup: P.S dont use an ordany bolt

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
hey but you would have irs... maybe bashing it out might damage something i dont see how but i only have live axel, maybe someone might know if its different for irs

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
nah u wont damage anything, theres no difference in removing the studs from IRS to live axle.. just as u meantion walesy_5.0 in post #3 :thumbsup:

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
hey guys its my vr not my vt cheers for the responses