Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel(s) Stuffed

Jacobjac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim II '99
Hey guys, I'm useless with tyres and wheels.

I went to my local Tyrepower a few weeks ago because the car has been verging left for ages and it's feeling slightly loose in the wet.

The VT has APEC AP-Design Polished 18" rims and just some ATR sport tyres. Bought these new from Tyrepower a year ago. Anyway he showed me the wheels and he reckons that the back tyres are stuffed and the wheels - or in particular one front wheel - is rooted. It's bent on the inside and he reckons it's irreparable. They rang another tyrepower and they said it's not being made any more but they said they have the same wheel for a falcon and they'd drill holes in it for the Commodore but it'd be visible.

no thanks. I asked the guy what I can do to avoid this in future and he said it's just victorian roads/potholes. If that's the case I'm not keen on buying these every year. And he blamed the tread loss on the lowering. I haven't been doing any burnouts with this set but I can understand the lowering might make it go quicker.

As for the wheels they say I need: "Adjustable front caster bushes ($290)" and "4 point rear camber/toe kit ($480)

They reckon it should stop the tyres wearing 'so quick' but that's about it.

Thoughts?

PS: Is there any warranties available here through Tyrepower or APEC? I heard there was a structural warranty, at least for the ones on ebay. They were going to destroy the tyres and wheel and have me buy new ones then and there. No thanks.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
If they were stuffed wen u purchased them then yes theres some sort of warrenty but if that was the case they shouldnt have been put on the car in the 1st place, once the tyres fitted 2 the rim its highly unlikey 2 get any warrenty claims unless its structual damage but since uve driven on them 4 over a year i doubt it, anything could have happend 2 the tyres n rims, u dont have 2 do burnouts 2 damage cheap rims.

they r right about the tyre wear if u havent got a camber kit. having 1 in is a good idea as it will improve the camber by at least 85% (mayb more depending on car and how low it is but u'll never get them 100% true).

Jacobjac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim II '99
gotchya. are apecs not much good? dont wanna buy new ones every year

josh.meaden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore acclaim
I'd definately invest in a camber kit if you are intending on keeping it low. My car is sitting very low atm and i havent really worried about a camber kit as yet kos im on stockies. but i just bought a set of 19" wheels today and there is no way there going on my car till i sort out the camber. as the above member said, it will never be perfect. but its definatly worth it!

Jacobjac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim II '99
sounds like i need that camber kit definitely

Safe to buy those APECs again or are they considered a crap quality wheel?

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
get yourself a quality set of rims..and tyres, once you have a camber kit on it and its all balanced right and like you said you havent done burnouts your tyres will last just almost like stock ones if you know wat i mean..im looking at a set of ve ssv 19's and my car is being lowerd on the 26th of this month on super low front and super super rears..i havent worried about a camber kit as yet but when the ssv's go on it i will be fitting one for sure

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Holden recommend just a two point camber kit. Tyrepower are trying to make $$$$ off you.
Take it to someone else.

2 supply and fit just the camber kit alone thats about the goin price but IMO i wouldnt go 2 tyre power neways lol