Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel silver paint code.

H

harrop.senator

Fair bump I literally keep fast or slow hardeners in the cupboard and a 2k reducer. The rest is just my colours because everything is polyu I use and even though there's four brands paints haven't had an issue

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I found out the wheel silver is close to a 2J005. However, this can not be mixed in 2k only acrylic. I could get it made in 2k but I would need to by a small amount of acrylic, and have them spray it out and they can probably match it. But it adds a lot to the cost, which is already $110 for 500mls of base and 1L of clear.

The bloke said they can do it in 2J004. He doesn't have any colour charts as they are simply N/A for car paints. Does anyone know what car might have had the the 2J005? Or has anyone heard of this colour? The bloke could not confirm if it is darker or lighter than what I want. I can't find anything on Google either as I only got hits for white not silver.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I think the colour I'm after is Holden Boroda Silver. I just can't be sure the code I have is Boroda as there appears to be two different codes for Boroda. I just can't figure out if it was just a change in the years and basically they are the same colour?

I can't believe it is this hard to get a silver mixed up. The paint shops want codes or colour name. You can't just walk into a paint shop and say you want silver wheel paint because they won't mix it unless you have a name or code and no one seems to know what the common wheel silver codes are??? Go figure..... These paint shops have been around for over 20 years yet it's too hard to get a silver mixed without knowing a name.....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So I think the colour I'm after is Holden Boroda Silver. I just can't be sure the code I have is Boroda as there appears to be two different codes for Boroda. I just can't figure out if it was just a change in the years and basically they are the same colour?

I can't believe it is this hard to get a silver mixed up. The paint shops want codes or colour name. You can't just walk into a paint shop and say you want silver wheel paint because they won't mix it unless you have a name or code and no one seems to know what the common wheel silver codes are??? Go figure..... These paint shops have been around for over 20 years yet it's too hard to get a silver mixed without knowing a name.....

Won't they mix paint to match one of the wheels, or is it you don't have a wheel with the original paint on it for them to colour match

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No one here colour matches you have to have a name or code. It's not like Bunnings. But yeah the rims are all in primer so won't help anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pretty sure the colour is called Boroda. I'm just confused that there seems to be two different codes for Boroda. Although I could be mistaken and they are not the same colour. Really confusing for someone who knows only a little about paint.

Frustrating that I was running late for work today because the code I supplied doesn't come in 2K. So he went searching and suggested this close code 2J004 instead of 2J005 but he couldn't tell me if they are the same, close or a completely different shade.

Car paint is so much harder than going to Wattyl and buying 4L of house paint.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No one here colour matches you have to have a name or code. It's not like Bunnings. But yeah the rims are all in primer so won't help anyway.

I was thinking along the lines of panel beaters, but seeing they are all in primer, that definately throws the cat amongst the pigeons....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was thinking along the lines of panel beaters, but seeing they are all in primer, that definately throws the cat amongst the pigeons....
Yeah if a panel beater had a close match he could just blow them over or match it pretty close to perfect. The ones I have spoke to still need a code or name supplied. I believe they mix paint to code and adjust from there if necessary. But you can't just go in and ask them to match it, they need a starting point apparently.

I want to paint my own now as its going to be really expensive to get them painted at the panel beaters, over $600.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If I can somehow confirm that Boroda Silver is 2J004, and I can see it used somewhere on the Net I'll be happy. Then I can drop in on my way to work, pay for it and collect it the next day on my way to work. I really want it this week so I can have a go at blowing it on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So 2J004 is Boroda Silver Mk I. I'm still having problems finding an image on the Net. Once I see it I'll know if I'm happy with it. Slowly getting somewhere.