Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel size differences

ossbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hey i have recently switched from a 4x4 to a VT and i just wanna know what the actual difference is between the 17" / 18 / 19 / 20 rims
And whats the best brands for rims and tyres

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Rims size differences are the same as rim size differences between 4X4's...So you have lost me on that.

Best brands for rims and tyres....What are you doing with the car? Is it a daily? Do you do mainly tarmac driving? Is the car standard height? Do you like a comfortable ride, or is a harsher ride not an issue? Is your driving style a little spirited, or do you just putt around?....Do you do a heap of kays, or just too and fro to the shops once or twice a week?

Yes a heap of questions that may seem silly, but to get the right answers, those questions would have to be answered.

ossbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Rims size differences are the same as rim size differences between 4X4's...So you have lost me on that.

Best brands for rims and tyres....What are you doing with the car? Is it a daily? Do you do mainly tarmac driving? Is the car standard height? Do you like a comfortable ride, or is a harsher ride not an issue? Is your driving style a little spirited, or do you just putt around?....Do you do a heap of kays, or just too and fro to the shops once or twice a week?

Yes a heap of questions that may seem silly, but to get the right answers, those questions would have to be answered.
Yes but with 4x4s you are going bigger rim so height of the car is taller
what’s the point lowering my vt just to put bigger rims on in and lift it back up...
I don’t understand what the point of changing rim sizes and what they achieve... more grip due to wider spread? etc

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes but with 4x4s you are going bigger rim so height of the car is taller
what’s the point lowering my vt just to put bigger rims on in and lift it back up...
I don’t understand what the point of changing rim sizes and what they achieve... more grip due to wider spread? etc

When going up in rim sizes, you go down with sidewall profile, so you keep the rolling radius the same...It applies with 4X4 stuff as well....

For example, with the commodore...You have a 225/50X16 fitted and you go to a 17 inch rim...You then fit a 235/45x17 tyre, to keep the rolling radius the same (or car height). A 4X4...You start with a 265/70X16 and move to a 17 inch rim...you then fit a 275/65X17 inch tyre, to keep the rolling radius, or height the same.

Wider tyres, will give you more tyre print on the road, which can give you more grip...The same as 4X4 stuff....But like 4X4 stuff, choosing the right tyre to suit the application of the vehicle is going to do, also helps....

ossbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
When going up in rim sizes, you go down with sidewall profile, so you keep the rolling radius the same...It applies with 4X4 stuff as well....

For example, with the commodore...You have a 225/50X16 fitted and you go to a 17 inch rim...You then fit a 235/45x17 tyre, to keep the rolling radius the same (or car height). A 4X4...You start with a 265/70X16 and move to a 17 inch rim...you then fit a 275/65X17 inch tyre, to keep the rolling radius, or height the same.

Wider tyres, will give you more tyre print on the road, which can give you more grip...The same as 4X4 stuff....But like 4X4 stuff, choosing the right tyre to suit the application of the vehicle is going to do, also helps....
Ok so what would you recommend or say the most common sizes and brands are

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ok so what would you recommend or say the most common sizes and brands are

If you are after a comfortable ride, I'd be looking at 205/65X15, or a 215/60X16 or 225/50X16....Popular brands are Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli and Kumho