Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Size Dilemmas

Brumbies 5L

Dont Gossip, Just Torque!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L
I would be thinking about insurance first,and if you can't afford to insure it,you can't afford the rim's.

Insurance is one of the first things that you should be getting as you can always put mods on a car to make it look and go well, makes it harder if it's sitting in the front yard undrivable.....:bang:

Get insurance before getting anything else done, my 2c worth:thumbsup:

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i wont need to ask insurance as i have none, but thanks guys!

yeah i would be getting insurance before any rims thats for sure....
what if car gets stolen, someone breaks in, accident, etc......if you love ur car so much like you say then protect it.....

standard VTs arent hugely expensive to insure even for under 25s

Brumbies 5L

Dont Gossip, Just Torque!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L
Thanks to JAXQuickfit Tyres website for the info below..

Wheel Fitments

Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA. The overall diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle, and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

Replacement Wheels Requiring an Engineers Certificate

Wheels which exceed the diameter and width limits for minor wheel changes must be assessed by an engineering signatory who is recognised by the Transport Authority for the purpose of certifying modified vehicles. (Contact the Transport Authority for more information.)

If the signatory finds that the wheels are safe for your vehicle, you will be issued with an engineering certificate. The original of this certificate is generally required to be submitted to the Transport Authority for notification of the modifications, or for registration of the vehicle. The duplicate copy or owners copy is stamped and endorsed by the Transport Authority, and must be kept in the vehicle to be presented to an authorised officer of the Transport Authority or the police, when requested

There are limits on the size of wheels, which can be certified by an engineering signatory. These limits are as follows:

Rear Wheels

The maximum permitted rear rim width for a particular vehicle is determined by its tare weight (10 litres of fuel, no occupants or luggage) in accordance with the following table:

Front Wheels

The lesser of each front wheel shall be:
1. no wider than the maximum permitted for rear wheels on your
vehicle or 204mm
2. no narrower than 70% of that fitted to the rear wheels, and
3. no narrower than a standard wheel fitted to your vehicle as
original equipment.

Front Wheel Drive Vehicles

For these vehicles, except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, front wheel widths shall be no more than 26mm greater than the widest optional wheel offered by the vehicle manufacturer. This requirement also applies vehicles with constant four wheel drive.
Four Wheel Drive Vehicles

For these vehicles, except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, the maximum wheel width is the lesser of the maximum for rear wheels on your vehicle or 204mm, the front and rear wheel widths shall be the same.

Vehicles with diagonally split brake systems

Except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, vehicles so equipped must have the same size wheel widths fitted to front and rear wheels. The front wheel offset (and front wheeltrack) shall remain as original.

Additional Requirements for Replacement Wheels

When wheels (and tyres) outside the manufacturers recommended range are fitted to a vehicle, the following requirements must be met:

• The wheel rim width must not be less than the minimum width
fitted by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model.

• The wheel and tyre must be contained within the body work, or
mudguards, including "flares", when the wheels are straight.

• The wheel and tyre must not foul any part of the body or
suspension under all operating conditions.

• All wheels fitted to "an axle" must be of the same diameter, offset, width and mounting configuration (except for spare wheels used in an emergency situation) • The wheel must not prevent the wheel nuts from fully engaging
their studs.

• The wheel rim must not have a circumferential weld other than
that which attaches the rim to the wheel centre.

• The wheel must be one designed for the particular hub/axle in
respect to bolt pitch circle diameter and wheel nut tapers. Wheels
with slotted stud holes are not permitted.

• Speedometer accuracy must be maintained for the selected tyre
and rim combination.

• The fitment of wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel
conversions) between the wheel mounting face and the road
wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the
vehicle manufacturer.

Christina hope that this answers all your questions that you have on what size tyres and what you need to do, if not maybe you should ring up your nearest tyre professional and ask them for their unbiased opinion. :whistling Just my 2c worth:whistling

Sorry about the long post knew that I had seen this info before and had a little trouble finding it.

Cheers.

sno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
if your car isnt lowered get 17s.. they'll look beta

18s make ur car look like a monster truck.. lol

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
if I ever do mine i reckon i will go with either 17 or 18's cause any bigger on my car and I will be compensating for... hehehe...

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
want performance get 17, want a bumpy ride and pay stupid amounts for tires get 18's.

your 18,19 and 20's are just show, 17's will be heaps better for daily driving, performance and are cheaper on tires.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
my tyre placard just said 6.00J or something my brother just said i can only go 17" (7" tyre) OR SHOULD I FULLY STOP LISTENING TO MY BROTHER? lol

6.00J is the width in inches.
legally the biggest (stock) u can go is 17x8's thats 2 inch bigger and 2 inch wider.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
I was told by my insurance company 2 inches bigger 1 inch wider if that helps
any more then that and my policy is nulinvoid.
And my mate is just getting a canary of his VN (vic) and has 18s on it and the garage he took it to said his rims cant be bigger than 17s so if ya worried go to the rta or a garage or bob jane they should be able to tell you the infomation you are after

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
yeah i would be getting insurance before any rims thats for sure....
what if car gets stolen, someone breaks in, accident, etc......if you love ur car so much like you say then protect it.....

standard VTs arent hugely expensive to insure even for under 25s

for me, it will cost 3700-4000 for a reputable company, my dad would never speak to me again and i dont even have enough for rego let alone insurance, i take it as it comes, i dont want to try and argue my point, i love my car but im not made of money.... and my family (my dad) is poor.

i never take my eye off the road, beleive me if i had the money, i would.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
point taken, but i agree with the rest of the crowd, get insurance.. Not everything is in your control, it only takes a split second lapse in concentration.. plus with all the abundance of drivers out there that think they own the road..

Poor GMEOVR :(
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=43921