Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Size Dilemmas

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
If you don't have enough for rego how do you figure you're going to get rims? Seriously... it's better driving a car on stockies than lookin at your rims in the garage :) 17's around $1000 for a new set with tyres - bare minimum, for 18's you can double that...

If you can't afford rego and insurance, i'd skip the rims for now and work on the more important things...

Oh and $4000 for insurance is utter BS, I've not got the best record and pay less than half that...

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
If you don't have enough for rego how do you figure you're going to get rims? Seriously... it's better driving a car on stockies than lookin at your rims in the garage :) 17's around $1000 for a new set with tyres - bare minimum, for 18's you can double that...

If you can't afford rego and insurance, i'd skip the rims for now and work on the more important things...

Oh and $4000 for insurance is utter BS, I've not got the best record and pay less than half that...

i have rego dont get me wrong but i just cant give up that sort of cash for insurance.

nrma is 3500 when i last got a quote, aami was about the same, justcar was about 2600 but ive heard some dodgy stories about them, ill be getting insurance but just not at the moment.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
As far as i know the tyre/rims arnt illegal unless they are bigger/smaller than the actually standard tyre, i bought 18's for my car and when u stand the new rims/tyre next to my stock ones(15's spare) they are exactly same height, the lower prrfile makes up for the bigger rims. it onli becomes illegal when the lower profile dosnt make up for the bigger rims(eg when u got 20's etc...). The width is where they can most likely get u for i wouldnt go bigger than 8in wide otherwise u prob get done. Here is a link to a useful tyre calculator which can tell u how big u can go before ur actually illegal which was posted on here http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

if u cant afford full comp get third party fire and theft like i have, i got it for $700 from justcar/aami(just car is good for mods) and in includes my rims, lowered etc... Being on green p's full comp was around $2500.

Tyres arnt that expensive for 18in rims, i can get a set of khumos/toyos for mine in 235/40/R18 for $600($150 a tyre) from Tempe Tyres fitted and balanced. Most 17's tyres cost around 120-200 anway.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
nrma is 3500 when i last got a quote, aami was about the same, justcar was about 2600 but ive heard some dodgy stories about them, ill be getting insurance but just not at the moment.

that sounds like crap to me and here's why, im 20, i have racked up about 2.5k in speeding fines, lost my licence at least 4 times now (speeding) and had 2 accidents/claims due to flogging the car around crashing it and getting mum to make up a bs storie and got the car fixed both times, to an insurance company im their worst nightmare.

Now get this remember im 20 i now have a VT V8. im paying $1400 a year and im with just cars on a rating 2:w00t: my brother has a VT V6 and he's 17 and still payin less then me.

im either a very arsy bastard or thats just how it is, i think you pullin **** outta your ass with those prices unless you going to insurance every week for a claim.

stuff the rims get the insurance!

god whats wrong with people im always having to put mods back because of other more importent expences eg. rego, insurance, rent. but in the end i eventually get what i want, may have taken an extra 6 months but you just appreiciate that lil bit more......still waiting on haltech system:ranting:

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
also just found out you can actually pay your insurance weekly or monthly:thumbsup:

::Team420::

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Statesman 5L
for me, it will cost 3700-4000 for a reputable company, my dad would never speak to me again and i dont even have enough for rego let alone insurance, i take it as it comes, i dont want to try and argue my point, i love my car but im not made of money.... and my family (my dad) is poor.

i never take my eye off the road, beleive me if i had the money, i would.

Lmfao $3700 - $4000 Insurance?

I pay $900 Insurance... and thats fully insured all ways, and everything i have on my car....

And my Insurance company is a good company, seeing as i rolled a car and caused 20k+ damage (write off) they replaced the car and still seem to insure me.
Btw Im only 18...

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lmfao $3700 - $4000 Insurance?

I pay $900 Insurance... and thats fully insured all ways, and everything i have on my car....

And my Insurance company is a good company, seeing as i rolled a car and caused 20k+ damage (write off) they replaced the car and still seem to insure me.
Btw Im only 18...

i really don't know what i'm doing wrong, but so far, justcar will insure me for 2400 comprehensively. aami, nrma and gio are around 3400-3700 with 500-900 excess range.... i really don't know but thats what ive been told

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
As far as i know the tyre/rims arnt illegal unless they are bigger/smaller than the actually standard tyre, i bought 18's for my car and when u stand the new rims/tyre next to my stock ones(15's spare) they are exactly same height, the lower prrfile makes up for the bigger rims. it onli becomes illegal when the lower profile dosnt make up for the bigger rims(eg when u got 20's etc...). The width is where they can most likely get u for i wouldnt go bigger than 8in wide otherwise u prob get done. Here is a link to a useful tyre calculator which can tell u how big u can go before ur actually illegal which was posted on here http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

if u cant afford full comp get third party fire and theft like i have, i got it for $700 from justcar/aami(just car is good for mods) and in includes my rims, lowered etc... Being on green p's full comp was around $2500.

Tyres arnt that expensive for 18in rims, i can get a set of khumos/toyos for mine in 235/40/R18 for $600($150 a tyre) from Tempe Tyres fitted and balanced. Most 17's tyres cost around 120-200 anway.

hey thanks man, it makes sense what u said about the tyres and im sure i can easyly get away with it ha thanks!

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
that sounds like crap to me and here's why, im 20, i have racked up about 2.5k in speeding fines, lost my licence at least 4 times now (speeding) and had 2 accidents/claims due to flogging the car around crashing it and getting mum to make up a bs storie and got the car fixed both times, to an insurance company im their worst nightmare.

Now get this remember im 20 i now have a VT V8. im paying $1400 a year and im with just cars on a rating 2:w00t: my brother has a VT V6 and he's 17 and still payin less then me.

im either a very arsy bastard or thats just how it is, i think you pullin **** outta your ass with those prices unless you going to insurance every week for a claim.

stuff the rims get the insurance!

god whats wrong with people im always having to put mods back because of other more importent expences eg. rego, insurance, rent. but in the end i eventually get what i want, may have taken an extra 6 months but you just appreiciate that lil bit more......still waiting on haltech system:ranting:

mate, thats what ive been quoted over the phone and online, you can do your own quote on justcar with my details if you want if u dont beleive me, if i can get insurance for 1500 id so do it, immediately.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
you must of done something seriously wrong i only pay 900 a year for my VX SS and that includes stereo too