Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Size Dilemmas

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
hey guys, sorry for the annoying post on wheels once again, but i can never seem to make up my mind!

ok here's my problem.
my tyres currently are, well, there not bald but there not excellent, i do fishtail in the wet. my problem is this, i was going to rush and get my 17" inch wheels at rego time (nov. 8) ((i was convinced i should stay the 2" bigger than stock)) ,some people have said simply put the 18's on who cares, but i dont wanna get defected if a coppa wants to be a jerk...but i've decided i will do it all properly and wait for 18"s, here's the thing.

my current wheels are 15", meaning 17, legally before adjustments or what not, my questions are, how much are tyres on average for 18" rims, and could a tyre placard stating 16" stock get me past a cop... what sort of trouble can i get into using this? i heard the executives (98" models) also came out in optional 16" (as well as 15").
what will i need to do to make my ride work on 18"s (my brother said something about a camber kit but he's driving a ricer) but i am not sure, how much would lowering cost?.

am sorry for the annoying post but i am in three different minds and have no idea! if anyone has any pics of their ride on 17 or 18 please post!!

Last edited:

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
No no no,don't try the placard thing with the cops,they'll drag you out of the car and cuff you.18's are fine for your car.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
No no no,don't try the placard thing with the cops,they'll drag you out of the car and cuff you.18's are fine for your car.

they will? lol

i hope so, im just so confused, i am seriously going to a tyre place or something tomorrow

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
18s are fine on a commodore.....you only need to worry about cops if your goin for like 20's or bigger.
and u shouldnt need a camber kit unless u plan to lower it or u already get bad tyre wear at the rear...

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
18s are fine on a commodore.....you only need to worry about cops if your goin for like 20's or bigger.
and u shouldnt need a camber kit unless u plan to lower it or u already get bad tyre wear at the rear...

hey thanks man :thumbsup:
it's just so confusing i aplogise, its just i know im stock at 15 and don't wanna be getting around with something the cops could defect me on (sorry im very paranoid!) just wanna do it right ha!

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my tyre placard just said 6.00J or something my brother just said i can only go 17" (7" tyre) OR SHOULD I FULLY STOP LISTENING TO MY BROTHER? lol

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
my tyre placard just said 6.00J or something my brother just said i can only go 17" (7" tyre) OR SHOULD I FULLY STOP LISTENING TO MY BROTHER? lol
There could be a method to his madness.Go some 17's or you'll have no hair left,just to be on the safe side.17's look alright,and you won't pay a **** load for tyres.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Get some 18's if you want....
Coppers are really not gonna care about it....
I got 19's on my car, been pulled up several times and they comment on the rims being 19's.... but thats jst mainly they being funny and asking what im gonna do when it comes to replace the tyres.

Just make sure you tell your insurance company about the different rims and you'll be pretty much sweet...

Or as beeks said get the 17's and that way you keep all your hair, there is no dilema and your totally on the safe side.

CHeers

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
i wont need to ask insurance as i have none, but thanks guys!

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
i wont need to ask insurance as i have none, but thanks guys!
I would be thinking about insurance first,and if you can't afford to insure it,you can't afford the rim's.