Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Size Recommendation

VTZED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hey Guys,

I've just purchased a 90 VN Commodore and I was hoping to get some interceptors from BCI wheels.

They have 18's in stock for a full set - I just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems or if fitment was an issue? What tyre profile would suit best as well?

I don't know too much about wheels so appreciate the help.

Cheers

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I was running 18x8 Speedy Cheetahs with 235/40/18 tyres on my VS without any issues.

Reactions: Lex

VTZED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I was running 18x8 Speedy Cheetahs with 235/40/18 tyres on my VS without any issues.
That's great man, would be keen to see pix of it.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That's great man, would be keen to see pix of it.

YdQNOGy.jpg

More here.....https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vs-5-0.125899/

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I had to bash the strut tower to clear 235/40r18 on VN.. wheel offset is important
you will need rolled guards on the rear if your lowered

VTZED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I had to bash the strut tower to clear 235/40r18 on VN.. wheel offset is important
you will need rolled guards on the rear if your lowered
It's currently sitting standard height, so if I want to lower it on the 18's, I have to roll the guards and bash the strut tower?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It's currently sitting standard height, so if I want to lower it on the 18's, I have to roll the guards and bash the strut tower?

Not usually, all about width and offset of whichever wheel you use. People who have machined out VE wheels to fit just use a slightly smaller tyre and don't have issues.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Disclaimer: I may have just had 4 off rims, other have not had the issues I had.

My 2 cents with the BCI chasers, mine were 17 x 8, is to ensure the tyre is mounted correctly IRT the valve stem.

Also esure your fitter uses the correct attachment method, we tried both back cone and pin plate, and placement points for the weights, mine ended up with them everywhere.

In the end, after 2 tyre shops (both of which I have used for years) and 3 goes at fitting and balancing there was quite a bit of lead added to quell most of the shimmy at around 95kph, but at about 135kph the shimmy got pretty bad again.

I've gone back to stock VX SS rims with the same tyres and have no issues.

The same tyres on stock rims balanced fine with minimal added weight.

BCI did help me out with the correct balancing technique and was willing to replace the rims though, I just couldn't be bothered and was "over" the whole thing and didn't have the time or inclination to post them back from my location in Sydney to Vic.

Our view was maybe the jig or press was a bit out during the construction of the rims, maybe.

I ended up giving them to a mate for his trailer.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I had to roll the guards even for my ROH 17x8 with 235/45r17 not what Id call a large tyre.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Just so we can be clear guys, a VN is not a vr vs or vx, if you plan to lower it be prepared to scrub without making adjustments.

Pictured below 18x8 I assume I was running 235/35 or 235/40 at the time it was 15 odd years ago

Attachments

• Image1606.jpg
    Image1606.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 290