Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Size Recommendation

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
a more accurate depiction

Attachments

• Image1641.jpg
    Image1641.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 126

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Nice Calais ........... same as my 5.0l from way back. You would have flattened the lip and flared the arch to fit those rear tyres.
I had the stock wheels and tyres with FE2, and they used to show signs of rubbing with 2 passengers in the back seat and a full tank of fuel.

VTZED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Disclaimer: I may have just had 4 off rims, other have not had the issues I had.

My 2 cents with the BCI chasers, mine were 17 x 8, is to ensure the tyre is mounted correctly IRT the valve stem.

Also esure your fitter uses the correct attachment method, we tried both back cone and pin plate, and placement points for the weights, mine ended up with them everywhere.

In the end, after 2 tyre shops (both of which I have used for years) and 3 goes at fitting and balancing there was quite a bit of lead added to quell most of the shimmy at around 95kph, but at about 135kph the shimmy got pretty bad again.

I've gone back to stock VX SS rims with the same tyres and have no issues.

The same tyres on stock rims balanced fine with minimal added weight.

BCI did help me out with the correct balancing technique and was willing to replace the rims though, I just couldn't be bothered and was "over" the whole thing and didn't have the time or inclination to post them back from my location in Sydney to Vic.

Our view was maybe the jig or press was a bit out during the construction of the rims, maybe.

I ended up giving them to a mate for his trailer.
I appreciate the feedback, probably something that happens once so often but it's enough for me not to take that risk and I live in Vic. Might not be the case for others but if you own a VN you probably don't need anymore headaches lol

VTZED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Nice Calais ........... same as my 5.0l from way back. You would have flattened the lip and flared the arch to fit those rear tyres.
I had the stock wheels and tyres with FE2, and they used to show signs of rubbing with 2 passengers in the back seat and a full tank of fuel.
This is my concern. I don't necessarily think I'd have passengers that often as it's garaged but I'm also looking for opinions on tyres and wheel sizes that are kind of well balanced all round without too much hassle. If you have ah suggestions I'd be happy to hear them