Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wheel spacers

love the general

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute daily hj gts project
hi all so basically i want to know why wheel spacers are so frowned upon? I have a vy ute that is lowered or kings sl's and the tyres scrub out on the inside of the rear guards and i though if i put some spacers in it might stop it from happening but i've heard spacers are no good?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Spacers will make it worse as they move the wheel outwards.

They are frowned upon because they transfer load from the hub to the wheel studs which can result in studs snapping. Exception is spacers that bolt on, snugly fit on the hub and have their own studs.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Slip on spacers are bad, you can't get a decent clamping force with your wheel nuts, they can slip and slide, are not hubcentric, just all around a bad idea.
A good idea, is bolt-on hubcentric billet spacers, something made from s/s or aluminium. They have a hubcentric locating ring so all the weight is not held just by the studs, and it fits over the hub properly, they use the old wheel studs to hold the spacer on and have new studs to hold the wheel on. On my track car (R31 skyline) I have used these for a few track days, and a heap of road k's without any problems at all.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
A mate of mine fitted them to his ED wagon, they were the bolt on with there own stud type and his car doesnt seem to handle any different to before, he fitted later model falcon stockies (el i think) as they were way wider then the originals. His wheels now sit further out but the inner side is in about the same spot as before. With the way he drives im surprised they haven't snapped, they have survived two passenger front rims being broken on them.

My car trams tracks, its rather annoying.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah i should be clear about the (sometimes) cos you can always offset your rims to suit. but japs often fit 20mm spacers to widen their track. they do it for "high speed" (notice the quotes) they soon get removed once they get to my workshop.

also beaurepairs refuse to do an alignment till i have taken them off.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
yeah i should be clear about the (sometimes) cos you can always offset your rims to suit. but japs often fit 20mm spacers to widen their track. they do it for "high speed" (notice the quotes) they soon get removed once they get to my workshop.

also beaurepairs refuse to do an alignment till i have taken them off.

They dont do it for high speed they do it to get the rims flush with the guards, stance as they like to call it. Or to make rims with the incorrect offset fit.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
They dont do it for high speed they do it to get the rims flush with the guards, stance as they like to call it. Or to make rims with the incorrect offset fit.

"stance" isnt JUST making rims sit flush with the guard. its much more than that.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
"stance" isnt JUST making rims sit flush with the guard. its much more than that.

Yeah, it's not just a name, it's a way of life :p