Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wheel spacers

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

crazy2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2005 VZ V6
Stay away from them just made that mistake bought for $25.00 Autobarn 5 Stud last weekend put them on read the forum decided I must be nuts but the shock was that when I went to take the wheel nuts off that I tightened when I put them on had in 1 or 2 of them worked lose not finger lose but definitely lose so just imagine if I had gone left them n for longer No Stay Away from Them

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Stay away from them just made that mistake bought for $25.00 Autobarn 5 Stud last weekend put them on read the forum decided I must be nuts but the shock was that when I went to take the wheel nuts off that I tightened when I put them on had in 1 or 2 of them worked lose not finger lose but definitely lose so just imagine if I had gone left them n for longer No Stay Away from Them

You are aware you need longer studs right?

Used to have some many...people...return them at work. Did you use correct studs? Customer would suddenly trail off...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'm guessing $25 spacers doesn't mean quality either.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I forgot they come in slip on.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
And then slip right off again...(CRASH....BANG....TINKLE, TINKLE)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I remember reading through an old automotive engineers handbook guide or something like that, anyway, it has a section in there that talked about wheels and wheel spacers and why spacers are considered bad/unsafe. It said something along the lines of that fitting wheel spacers moves the wheel further away from its point of attachment, the point of attachment is usually the wheel bearing, and the further away the wheel is located from the bearing, the more leverage the wheel and axle has over the bearing, and this extra leverage can load up the wheel bearing to a point where it may catastrophically fail. It talked about wheel studs and the extra pressure spacers put on them too. It also mentioned about wheel width and how fitting extra wide wheels can cause similar problems to spacers. It had some other reasons mentioned too that I cant remember what exactly.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It said something along the lines of that fitting wheel spacers moves the wheel further away from its point of attachment, the point of attachment is usually the wheel bearing, and the further away the wheel is located from the bearing, the more leverage the wheel and axle has over the bearing, and this extra leverage can load up the wheel bearing to a point where it may catastrophically fail. It talked about wheel studs and the extra pressure spacers put on them too.

Is this really that much different to putting a low offset wheel on though? And was this talking about slip on's or bolt on's? I don't really bother with slip on's, as most of them don't have a hubcentric lip, and I think that would put a lot of strain on the studs.

I've had to run bolt on's for about 2 years with an effective offset of 8.5 +13 for brake clearance. In fact I even bent a wheel, and I thought that would break the spacer. Nope, bent the strut instead.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
had them on my VS.. slip on's - as stated stay away from them.. from what I can tell because they were made of Aluminium when they get hot they expand, when cooled down again they contract, this making the wheel nuts loose. This is my theory as to why I broke a few on each rear wheel... and before I get the (it was the weight that made them snap) it wasnt, I had put in longer studs, but you can see in the rim (where the studs bolt thru) the holes were rounded/oval kind of where the wheel had been alloud to move loose. Not all were snapped, but replaced all 10 and took the spacers off.. these were just 5mm ones IIRC.. put on some bolt on 25 spacers to have a look when I put beema springs in the back, that **** was hulla-flush.. didnt leave em in thou...