Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel swap EOI

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Were the 20’s staggered from factory? If so, I was told (by rego authorities and HCC) I can’t reduce rear width to match front o_O

If I wanted to change to same size front & back, it would be an engineering mod (as Holden would not provide any paper work saying it’s ok) :eek: shades of brake upgrade it seems :oops:
They were not staggered.
Your scenario is pure madness

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190921-120906_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190921-120906_Gallery.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 287

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...Your scenario is pure madness
Wish it was my scenario but this is straight from Holden and the regulators :(o_O As I’ve said before, it’s bureaucracy gone mad :mad:

My aim was two fold. First to gain a slightly more compliant daily ride by reducing wheel diameter and rear width while having same wheels front & back size (for better tire wear via rotation). Bonus is cheaper tires but that’s not the driver. Secondly, I don’t need nor can I even legally access the performance loss even with the narrower wheels on public roads, so putting the original staggered wheels in storage will protect them from any potential gutter rash (and I’d feel more relaxed parking in tight spots; auto park just seems unnatural). The other benefit is it won’t rattle the car to bits over the longer term (and it’s not as if I can drop tire pressure much on rubber bands).

The crazy part is narrower wheels were available in other variants but I can’t reduce rear wheel width to those sizes. Yet there seems to be no issue putting absolute shite tires on the existing rear wheels or going wider on fronts (if they fit). And the reasoning,... ABS calibration... sound familiar... Now that’s pure madness :p

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Wish it was my scenario but this is straight from Holden and the regulators :(o_O As I’ve said before, it’s bureaucracy gone mad :mad:

My aim was two fold. First to gain a slightly more compliant daily ride by reducing wheel diameter and rear width while having same wheels front & back size (for better tire wear via rotation). Bonus is cheaper tires but that’s not the driver. Secondly, I don’t need nor can I even legally access the performance loss even with the narrower wheels on public roads, so putting the original staggered wheels in storage will protect them from any potential gutter rash (and I’d feel more relaxed parking in tight spots; auto park just seems unnatural). The other benefit is it won’t rattle the car to bits over the longer term (and it’s not as if I can drop tire pressure much on rubber bands).

The crazy part is narrower wheels were available in other variants but I can’t reduce rear wheel width to those sizes. Yet there seems to be no issue putting absolute shite tires on the existing rear wheels or going wider on fronts (if they fit). And the reasoning,... ABS calibration... sound familiar... Now that’s pure madness :p

Wow
Just wow

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
The tyres are more expensive for ssv redline wheels and I can't rotate them. Rear tyres are around $500 each. Also i only got them when i planned brembo brake upgrade...but that will not happen...sooo back to stock..
I stupidly sold mine for peanuts...
Should've kept them...
Maybe try $300 tyres. I went with Falken fk510's this time. 5000 kms in and driving in all conditions can't say I've noticed any difference to the Pirellis they replaced. Very happy with them on a daily driver.